alexkolb

Hello!

I just got a Dell Dimension 3000 as a gift. Specs are:
(important ones)
IP 4 , 2.8 ,533 fsb
512 ram 400 mhz
80hdd
Inter extreme integrated video :eek: !

The price my gift giver paid for this is 988 CAD ( aobut 840 usd). Unfortunately this PC doesn't have an AGP slot. So i wounder if it is possible to change a Dell MB for a MB with APG, take all dell parts (i'm satisfied with everything except Video), and assemble it back into dell casing, and add a video?

Thank you.

alexkolb

Yeh, and as I understood after doing some reading, there is no point in buying a PCI video card like radeon 9250 or nvidia gfx 5500, cuz they just woun't cut it for my favourite games like Unreal Tournament 2004, HL 2, some strategies... Am i right?

And are those parts like CPU, fans, HDD, cdroms from Dell computer going to work on a different motherboard?

Please answer me somebody :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the Dell stuff will work on another mobo. The RAM, Fans, CPU, HDD, Optical Drives all will, what wont:
PSU, Dell uses DTX Power Plugs (My Own Acronym Means: Dell Technology eXtened, Dumb Technology eXtended, Insert Witty DTX Description Here)
Case, This may or may not be a problem. it depends on the size of the mobo

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So I wounder if it is possible to change a Dell MB for a MB with APG, take all dell parts (i'm satisfied with everything except Video), and assemble it back into dell casing, and add a video?
You'll have to get a new mobo and new power supply but its doable.

Yeh, and as I understood after doing some reading, there is no point in buying a PCI video card like radeon 9250 or nvidia gfx 5500, cuz they just woun't cut it for my favourite games like Unreal Tournament 2004, HL 2, some strategies... Am I right?
The UT2K4 engine is brutally efficient so you can prolly play 1024 @ max with even a 5200 (granted I was using the BFG one... but still)... as for HL2 ... I wouldnt be surprised if you could run that ... not a merit of the efficiency tho.

Insert Witty DTX Description here
Detrimental Technology eXtentions.

alexkolb

thanks for the reply,

so as i understood all dell parts will work with non-dell MB?

I have only seen PCI ati 9250 and fx 5700, anyone knows which one is better and if those cards are still not bad for average gamer (like i'm not gonna play HL2 at 1600x1200, can it be run with above cards at say 1024? with medium settings)

So do you think i should buy new case with PSU, MB, and Video, or just buy one of the above videocards and it will be enough?

Thank you.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd lean towards the 5700 being the faster of the 2 cards and either one should be able to handle HL2 at medium. If you choose to get a new motherboard, you can probably find one that will fit in the dell case unless it is one of those desktop minicases instead of a tower

alexkolb

So do you think i should buy new case with PSU, MB, and Video (kinda afraid for my dell waranty), or just buy geforce 5700 le 128 or 256 mb on pci ?
will i be able to play unreal tournament at say 1024 on medium settings on 5700 le?
How much faster is x300 se 128mb compared to 5700 le (i have x300 se now on my dad's PC )
Thank you.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to read it to be sure but I'm confident saying that if you change the motherboard your Dell warranty is voided. The 5700le should do UT2k4 well enough that you can play stutter free at non crazy resolutions, the x300se is faster 325/200(400) as opposed to the 5700le at 250/200(400) but they use a completely different interface so you can't switch them. The striaght 5700 is quite a bit faster, 425/250(500).

Check your Dell case. you can probably use it, provided its an ATX and has enough expansion slots for whatever motherboard you choose

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have only seen PCI ati 9250 and fx 5700
1. Where have you seen a FX5700-PCI?
2. The 5700 is faster hands down

(kinda afraid for my dell waranty),
Its not worth that much

just buy geforce 5700 le 128 or 256 mb on pci ?
Oooooooooh ok it was a 5700LE ... regardless ... where'd yo usee a 5700LE in PCI?

I'm confident saying that if you change the motherboard your Dell warranty is voided
I tend to concur but I dont have a dell to check with. Just make sure when you do change ur mobo too that you have a copy of the OS ... the restore cd that came with the dell machine wont cut it

the x300se is faster 325/200(400) as opposed to the 5700le at 250/200(400) but they use a completely different interface so you can't switch them. The striaght 5700 is quite a bit faster, 425/250(500).
In a real-world shootout id think the 57LE would win still

what would you compate Intel Integrated Graphics 2? Geforce 3?
Intel IG2 = GeForce256 level graphics... GF2MX at tthe most
Intel IG-900 = GF2 level

Regardless this video discussion should be happening in http://www.computerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

alexkolb

Warranty not worth that much?? I think you never used warranty :)
I have a dell laptop , inspiron 8100, which i bought for like 4000 cad , 3 years ago. Since then Dell replaced Mobo, dvd-recorder, lcd screen (twice) speakers,mouse (6 times), hard drive, and most importantly, they didn't even ask me if i broke the components, instead, they just shipped them overnight express right after i called them. If not for warranty, i would be paying big bucks for all these laptop components.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
alexkolb said:
Warranty not worth that much?? I think you never used warranty :)
I have a dell laptop , inspiron 8100, which i bought for like 4000 cad , 3 years ago. Since then Dell replaced Mobo, dvd-recorder, lcd screen (twice) speakers,mouse (6 times), hard drive, and most importantly, they didn't even ask me if i broke the components, instead, they just shipped them overnight express right after i called them. If not for warranty, i would be paying big bucks for all these laptop components.
wow.. thats one faulty laptop.

I have never bought a laptop from Dell, but I have bought 5 desktops throughout the years and the only problem I have even had was with a fan. I never spend extra money on warranties beyond a year.

In your case, it was money well spent...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think you never used warranty
You're quite correct. I usually buy a machine for its performance and stability rather than its replacability. (or easy thereof)

alexkolb

ok, so i decided to strip parts drom dimension 3000 and put them into new case since the dell's case is micro atx, i dont think new mobo will fit and i'll have to buy a new case anyway, since i looked inside dell , and that psu they have wount work.
Ok, so now, i have IP 4 2.8 ghz, so i need socket 478 mobo, right? Any mobos with PCI express you know of? I wana buy geforce fx6600, and it's pci-e. I figured this upgrade will cost me about 300$USD. Hopefully not more.
Also , do you know of any possible problems that i may have when i'll take dell components and start installing them on a new mobo?
Thank you.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
no 478s carry PCIe and probably never will but you can get the 6600GT in AGP but not the 6600(yet?)

funkymonky8u

well in my view pci vid cards arent bad unless ur going to be playing farcry and maybe doom3 but thats about it i have ut2004 and it plays perfetcly even with my crappy nvidia 5200 fx so its about the games ur going to play

alexkolb

im playing hl2, need for speed underground 2 , ut 2004, some strategies...
do u think fx5700 le pci version will be enough?
maybe your 5200 plays these games perfectly cuz ur card is AGP? i dont have AGP slot... and if i buy 5700 and it sux, well then it's 150$ of money wasted...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
there is no point in buying a PCI video card like radeon 9250 or nvidia gfx 5500, cuz they just woun't cut it for my favourite games like Unreal Tournament 2004, HL 2, some strategies... Am I right?
The highest PCI card ive seen is the GFX5500 which might be doable for gaming. In general, not worth it man :)

but thats about it I have ut2004 and it plays perfetcly even with my crappy nvidia 5200 fx so its about the games ur going to play
True but thats because UT Engine was built as a MP game and optimized as such, FarCry, Doom3, HL2 were made as SP games first off so their graphical payload is more significant :)

do u think fx5700 le pci version will be enough?
Where'd you find that?

maybe your 5200 plays these games perfectly cuz ur card is AGP? I dont have AGP slot... and if I buy 5700 and it sux, well then it's 150$ of money wasted...
The 5700LE should be a decent card ... you might be able to get it for less than $150 (im assuming you mean CAD)