directx 9.0c + games aren't working on windows 10

anonymous user

i just installed Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium wars, and red alert 3, but every time i open them i get this message that tells me i don't have directx 9.0c or higher installed, but i have it installed.
so i googled directx 9.0x, downloaded the install from microsoft, opened it and it said it's only gonna work with xp, vista etc.

but the message from the game said i could also install a higher one ( which i had installed already, but ok )
so i looked for a newer directx,opened, clicked install, says it didnt do anything becouse i already have a higher version of directx

so once again i went to a forum, downloaded another directx, did install, but the game still gives the message

so how do i get games ranging from the year 2000 to 2015 ish running on windows 10?
and how do i solve this problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Choose to run the game in compatibility mode for XP and see if that helps. Some older games won't run in windows 10.

anonymous user

i still get the message: "please make sure you have DirectX 9.0 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements, and that you do not have hardware acceleration disabled in the Display control panel."

my directx is high enough
videocard is good enough
cant find that option

its a new laptop, so i think it might be disabled ( i dont really know what the default is )

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check to see if you are using the latest driver for it. Right click on the intel hd graphics and click on properties, click on driver tab and see what the driver date is.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I know both of those are very old games. They might not just work on 10. I would think the intel HD graphics should run those though, not sure how well.

anonymous user

I have no clue about VM's but i'm sure it would be poor experience if it would work.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/command-and-conquer-red-alert-3/10797

Click on can I run it(blue box) on that page and follow prompts to see what the results are.
for red alert it doesnt have the minimum, but it doesnt matter becouse i deleted it ( it was 14 gigabytes )

but for tiberium wars i do have the minimum exept for video card

what can i do about this? do i really have to buy a new videocard?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have a laptop, you can't change the video card at all. Gaming is really meant to be done on a desktop.