Disappointed with SSD install...

fmonte

I installed a SSD drive to make my desktop computer perform faster in regard to opening up apps and large files. I can't tell that much difference from my regular HD. I just ran this benchmark test for the new SSD and it seems to be under performing. Did I do something wrong when I installed the new drive or is this the best I can expect? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

upload_2018-9-23_13-42-22.png

upload_2018-9-23_13-38-7.png

Darren

Staff member
That does seem low, what machine did you put it in? Specs? How did you install Windows, fresh or a clone?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Uhm. Thats not a new drive. According to the image, you've already wrote 4.7 TB to the drive. And the other problem is, AHCI needs to be enabled.

beers

Staff member
As per others enable ahci in bios.

Those sequential numbers are okay you should be seeing around 275 MB/sec as a limitation of the SATA 3 Gbps bus. My old laptop has a similar setup with a 840 Evo on a SATA II interface.

Agent Smith

You can't enable AHCI once the OS is already installed. You have to do a registry tweak. And it may not even work. Read this and try, but I'd backup your import crap first. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

YMMV and it may not even work. I'd clone the computer to an external USB drive before you proceed. The risk of not being able to access your drive again is great. If that happens you can try going back to IDE mode again in BIOS or simply reinstall Windows and this time with AHCI enabled first.

If that drive is indeed used, that may be why you have carp performance. You should also make sure the SSD is aligned. What does As SSD say? https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

To test the SSD speed use Crystaldiskmark. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

beers

Staff member
You can't enable AHCI once the OS is already installed. You have to do a registry tweak. And it may not even work.
'Cant' and 'can do it with tweak' are two entirely different things. It works with the registry edit. Suggesting a reinstallation when you could succeed by changing a single value is poor advice.

Agent Smith

No, because it's not guaranteed to work. And can't is correct since you CAN'T! enable AHCI without a registry tweak.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
No, because it's not guaranteed to work. And can't is correct since you CAN'T! enable AHCI without a registry tweak.
The registry tweak just tells windows to load the AHCI miniport driver, which it doesn't do by default to save loading time.

fmonte

Thanks Beers and everyone. I think you are right. I am limited by my mother board not offering SATA 6. The computer that I have is a Cybertron Xsniper2. It's a quad core with 8g RAM. I called them and they said my mother board only has SATA 3. Also, John, yes the SSD has been in this computer for a few months but I am confused by the report. I thought I only have used 72 GB of the 466 GB available. I don't know what that other reading means (total bytes written 4.7 TB). Please explain and if there is something I need to delete, please let me know.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you have only used 72gb of 466 available, but total amount of data written to drive since first used is 4.7 TB. You don't need to delete anything, its just letting you know how much data is been written to the drive. Enabling AHCI should give you better speeds though.

Agent Smith

What the hell is SATA 6? There's only SATA III You're probably thinking of 6 Gbps which is the speed of SATA III.