"disk read error" message

geepeetee

Hi

I am getting a "disk read error" on my desktop pc. After several attampts to reboot with the same message i tried to boot from the cd to repair / reinstall XP. Same result.

Checked all connectons inside tried all the permutations of connecting, removing and changing power and ribbon cables and drives. Same again.

I have 2 x ide drives (master / slave port 1) and 2x optical (master / slave port 2).

I find it strange that i get the same result when i tried the cd drive as its on a different port / cable.

I thought it might be a controller on the mobo so i changed it (using my athlon cpu, memory and agp card but still the same result.

Advice appreciated.

Gary

3uL

That might be early sign of harddisk retirement... As precaution, backup your files.
Have you tried chkdsk??

geepeetee

re disk read error

Hi

Thanks for reply, that seems the obvious thing but why would i get the same message when booting from the cd?

Cheers

Gary

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That error sounds more like its coming from a floppy drive or a cdrom drive, not a hard drive. When are you getting that message?

konsole

when you try to use the cd make sure the computer is set to boot from the cd drive first not the hard drive.