"disk read error" message

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by geepeetee, Aug 25, 2009.

1. geepeetee

geepeetee New Member

Hi

I am getting a "disk read error" on my desktop pc. After several attampts to reboot with the same message i tried to boot from the cd to repair / reinstall XP. Same result.

Checked all connectons inside tried all the permutations of connecting, removing and changing power and ribbon cables and drives. Same again.

I have 2 x ide drives (master / slave port 1) and 2x optical (master / slave port 2).

I find it strange that i get the same result when i tried the cd drive as its on a different port / cable.

I thought it might be a controller on the mobo so i changed it (using my athlon cpu, memory and agp card but still the same result.

Advice appreciated.

Gary

2. JakeUSMC

JakeUSMC New Member

hard drive is broke?

3. 3uL

3uL New Member

That might be early sign of harddisk retirement... As precaution, backup your files.
    Have you tried chkdsk??

4. geepeetee

geepeetee New Member

re disk read error

Hi

Thanks for reply, that seems the obvious thing but why would i get the same message when booting from the cd?

Cheers

Gary

5. geepeetee

geepeetee New Member

re disk read error

Hi

Will try chkdsk, all files are backed up anyway.

Gary

6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

That error sounds more like its coming from a floppy drive or a cdrom drive, not a hard drive. When are you getting that message?

7. konsole

konsole Member

when you try to use the cd make sure the computer is set to boot from the cd drive first not the hard drive.