Do Files Bleed Into Other Files?

DeepLuv

Not sure how to phrase this but do files bleed into eachother? My concern is this.. If I have a file on my computer that contains secure Data (for example an audio file that contains a conversation in which secure information is disclosed such as passwords and account information)... Is it possible that bits of this audio conversation could be found in other files on the same pc? Or does it not work like that...My Concern is this....If I have Music Mp3s on the same computer as the secure audio Data File is located...and I plan on sharing the Music Mp3s over the internet...Is there anyway that Fragments of the Secure audio Conversation might somehow be located in the music Mp3s, making it possible to reconstruct the secure audio file, using just the Music Mp3s? Or does it not work like that... and It wouldn't just be audio files that i would be concerned with...Similarly if I had a Text Document containing passwords and account information, could this Text Document somehow end up inside other files on my same pc, possibly inside of those MP3 music files i wanted to share...puting me at a huge security risk... Sorry for the long question...but do things work like that on a computer? Do Files Bleed into eachother so to speak? Can One file on a computer somehow end up being located inside of another larger file? or Can One File on a computer end up being fragmented into a non related group of files on that same computer...Making it possible for someone to compile the fragments of the original file and view it or even reconstruct it? Thanks for the Clarity!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, they don't bleed into other files. The only thing that can attach themselves to other files are certain viruses such as virut and ramnit.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah that's not possible. I had never really thought of that before but it doesn't make any sense for that to happen. The most that could possibly be found from a document/file is when it was created and/or last modified and by who.

Okedokey

Its possible if you move a file and due to defragmentation and file association related to the movement that it takes other non-related files with it, however the probability that you'd be able to reconstruct a file from a random such process is less likely that you creating the whole file via a binary reconstruct. Infintisimally small.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Its possible if you move a file and due to defragmentation and file association related to the movement that it takes other non-related files with it, however the probability that you'd be able to reconstruct a file from a random such process is less likely that you creating the whole file via a binary reconstruct. Infintisimally small.
Gordon Bennett! :D