Do HD's increase FPS in games?

davie23223

I'm having a hard time finding my hd's RPMs, I think it's a 5400RPM one but not sure, anyone know what the RPMs are for a 13GIG HD? I know that the processor, the gpu, and the ram increases FPS in games but do HD's also do? Do they help increase FPS during gameplay?

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
they dont increase FPS as most/all game data will be shoved into the RAM for quicker access. So a faster module of RAM will increase FPS, a faster HD will only increase load times as stated above.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
a faster hard drive could increase frame rates if there is some page file swapping going on but it wont make a difference that is noticeable, you're still gonna have the bits in a game where the framerate drops right down while new data is loaded off the hard drive.

Dilly man 2

ram is important for fps. when i put my extra gig of platnum ram in my fps went from 118 to 138fps "not like i need it cause the human eye cant see a diff with anything over 60 something"

i would go for a 5400rpm go for a 7800rpm or whatever the next step up is.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
lol, all this caused by me. right a faster HD will DECREASE load times, this is due to a higher read speed being achieved from the hard drive and thus a faster throughput to the RAM and other places. However, this will NOT increase FPS in a game as most game data is pre loaded from the HD to the RAM, faster RAM will decrease access time to data such as image sprites and game map data, this will increase the time it has to process other stuff in the game (HIGHER FPS)

I hope that made sense, and yeh, RAM isnt the be-all and end-all of FPS counts, it obviously comes down to graphics cards which decides your final FPS count.

dragon2309

Last edited: