Do I have to?

DSM1999

Hey guys if I decide to upgrade my motherboard do I have to install windows vista again or do any type of configurations? Or is it just plug it and thats it?

PohTayToez

It depends on how similar your new motherboard is to the old one, but usually you won't be able to boot with a new motherboard.

You should be able to insert your OS disk and do a Windows "repair". This will keep all of your application and data intact, but reinstall your system files and clear your drivers.

DSM1999

ohhh well the mobo im trying to get will be the same brand just newer. Do I still need to do all that?

jsawyer1181

More than likely you will still have to repair the os as it is generally tied to the board its installed with until you do a reinstall.

lovely?

ohhh well the mobo im trying to get will be the same brand just newer. Do I still need to do all that?

you will HAVE to repair, at the very least. but there can still be problems, which is why a clean install is recommended.

jsawyer1181

A clean install is generally what I do just to be sure I don't run into issues. You CAN do a repair, but the registry won't know where all of your programs are so you would be forced to reinstall all of your programs in order for them to work. So in short, a clean install would be the best route.

yhahh

Yes it's the only way to go well. I changed my mobo (socket AM2) for an Asus P5E (socket lga775) and I've used my computer during 1 year without re-installing the OS (vista) but I had many problems during programs loading, registrery problems etc...
But I've been very lucky and even if it works without re-installing, you'll lose speed at boot and in general using you computer. It's very rare (impossible?) that a computer works perfectly after a mobo switch.
Be able to re-install vista. And of course don't forget to save all your datas before ^^

lawson_jl

There is a program called Fix HDC on the UBCD for Windows that sets your hard drive controller to generic that, in most cases, will allow the system to boot and install devices. This helps to avoid a reinstall and all the problems that come with it. If this doesn't work then certainly do a clean install.