do i need a router

stratford

thinking of upgrading to broadband and i am running a pc and laptop on a small network using a crossover cable (cat5) will i need a router to share the broadband connection or not aol say i do but i have been told you only need a router to run 3 or more pcs.Thanks in advance.

man_4422

stratford said:
thinking of upgrading to broadband and i am running a pc and laptop on a small network using a crossover cable (cat5) will i need a router to share the broadband connection or not aol say i do but i have been told you only need a router to run 3 or more pcs.Thanks in advance.

Router I could say, is a modem? Basically broadband requires, but for cable modem transmission, it does not require a router.

If you require to run 3 or more PC then make sure the 3 pc the network DNS setting is the same, if you are thinking of transfering files to one another.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds
man_4422

SFR

Truth fears no questions
A router connects networks together.

A router, in your case, can do two things.

1. You will be able to communicate OFF the internet in your own network (workgroup) in which both computers can share files and a printer.. etc...

2. Each computer can access the INTERNET independent of eachother. One computer is turned off the other can STILL access the internet.

I prefer to use a router for that reason.

Note:

If one of the computers is turned off the workgroup between the two computers stops working until that machine is running again... but the INTERNET connection will work independent of the other computer...