Do i need to replace my hard disk

Lukefr

Hello everyone, every time i start up my laptop, i get a message that says there is a problem with my hard disk. It says i need to backup my computer, and fix or replace my hard disk.

I am using a dell, running windows 7

Is there a scan i can use to check what is wrong. I tried the scan that comes with the computer, but it froze at like 80 percent, and it took like 8 hours (i did the full scan).

I cant backup my computer right now because i need something with at least 52 gigs of memory and i'm broke. Any ideas about a free way to backup 52 gigs externally would also be appreciated. Thank you to all who help me.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The S.M.A.R.T. monitor on your drive probably tripped, which means your drive is probably on its way out. You can test the machine by pressing F12 on boot and choosing "Diagnostics". That'll perform the Dell diagnostic and tell you if the drive is bad or not. If it's under warranty you can get a replacement through Dell under warranty.

Lukefr

The S.M.A.R.T. monitor on your drive probably tripped, which means your drive is probably on its way out. You can test the machine by pressing F12 on boot and choosing "Diagnostics". That'll perform the Dell diagnostic and tell you if the drive is bad or not. If it's under warranty you can get a replacement through Dell under warranty.

i think i already did that one, is that the same one that you can do threw the control panel?

kurby

Sounds like the drive is done. I wouldn't bother trying any other scans concentrate on backing up your data or atleast pull the drive and put another one in the machine so you don't do further damage to your current drive until you can afford a backup solution.