Do I need to replace my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by Nick.D, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Nick.D

Nick.D Member

I'm wondering if I need to replace my hard drive, or if there is some sort of fix (though I kind of doubt there is).

I'm having a few issues right now--the most annoying one is that my computer won't wake up after being put to sleep.
    Also about every other time I turn it on it does a file check saying that one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency or something.
    The third issue is that when I turn it back on a message pops up about a corrupt file, the file in question has to do with speedfan--a program I use to control the speed of my cpu fan.

This is a new hard drive, only about a month old.
    CrystalDiskInfo says it's in good health, though I don't know how reliable that is.
    It would kind of suck to have to replace it already...

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If it's not being shut down properly since it wont wake up from sleep then it will usually do a disk check on next bootup. I would disable sleep mode and just set it so monitor shuts off and see how it works.

3. aldan

aldan Active Member

my sentiments exactly.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

You shouldn't use sleep mode or hibernation. I have read many, many threads on forums all over the Internet with people using sleep or hibernation mode having issues.

You can schedule a disk check on the drive. Go to the run command, type in CMD. Enter chkdsk /f