Do I really need SP3 for Windows XP

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It's not life or death but why not? You always want to run the latest version of an OS because it's the most secure.

spynoodle

Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP SP2, so I assume that means that you won't get the latest security updates unless you update to SP3.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP SP2, so I assume that means that you won't get the latest security updates unless you update to SP3.

Correct. The only update he'll get will be SP3 until he installs it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrade to SP3. If you haven't found out yet, you will, but a lot of software is now requiring you to have SP3 installed or it won't install. Seems its more financial and security software though, but who knows.

Ischinel

actually, sp2 is fine ... you cant really depend on security always anyway. Prevention is better than cure anyway. Becareful what or where you surf ~

wolfeking

banned
depends on what you are doing and wanting.

1. Security.
-I've heard tell that SP2 is a little more secure, but that also doesn't cover computer stupidity and the point and click lifestyle of not reading or knowing what you click on. No security update in the world is better than a good Antivirus/Antimaleware program.
2. Reliability.
- The Service Packs add together all of the reliability updates, so this might be a plus.
3. Program Acceptance.
- Some games need SP3 to function, although I think this is more of a gimmick to get people on board with the SPs than actual necessity.
4. Support.
- Microsoft no longer supports SP2. This however is a very bad reason to upgrade.

Basically, If SP2 is doing everything you need it to, then don't mess with success. If you run across a program that you want/need and it needs SP3, then upgrade. If you have a reliability issue, or multiple issues, then upgrade as you need SP3 to get other updates.

pwlljakob

Windows XP SP3 is a hell of a lot more secure than SP2 AND you can run a hell of alot more software than with SP2

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Basically, If SP2 is doing everything you need it to, then don't mess with success. If you run across a program that you want/need and it NEEDS SP3, THEN upgrade.

I agree with wolfeking.Do what he said.Do not update if everything is working properly.