Do multiple graphics cards stack?

dstebbins

I saw an ebay listing for a gaming super-computer so expensive that you could probably get about two used cars with that price, and still have enough left over to insure them both.

It advertised a whopping FOUR graphics cards that were the best that were available at the time (I think they're about 12GB each, from Nvidia).

Does that actually improve performance? Because from MY Nvidia control panel, I have to choose which graphics card I use for gaming (the dedicated one, or the integrated one), suggesting that I can't use both at the same time.

Do they potentially stack, and I just need to tweak the settings? If so, how do I get my two Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 cards to work together to give me double the stopping power?

beers

Staff member
There should be an option for SLi in your control panel if you're using a system that has two of them installed.

nvidia.jpg

dstebbins

1. What's SLI?

2. The reason I have a second Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 is because my old one (as you can see from my post history) kept crashing on me, saying that the Kernel Mode Drivers stopped responding. Getting another graphics card and replacing the hardware seemed to fix the problem. If I install my old card, would the new card still prevent the Kernel Mode Drivers from crashing, or would my problem re-surface?

3. My Nvidia Control Panel doesn't say "Set SLI Configuration." Instead, it says "Set PhysX Configuration."

Nvidia_Control_Panel.jpg

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First, your motherboard has to support SLI and secondly, you need 2 cards installed before the SLI option will appear.

beers

Staff member
1. What's SLI?

2. The reason I have a second Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 is because my old one (as you can see from my post history) kept crashing on me, saying that the Kernel Mode Drivers stopped responding. Getting another graphics card and replacing the hardware seemed to fix the problem. If I install my old card, would the new card still prevent the Kernel Mode Drivers from crashing, or would my problem re-surface?

3. My Nvidia Control Panel doesn't say "Set SLI Configuration." Instead, it says "Set PhysX Configuration."

1) SLi allows multiple GPUs to work together

2) Introducing the bad secondary card back into your setup would give you the same/similar behavior.

3) :
beers said:
There should be an option for SLi in your control panel if you're using a system that has two of them installed.
;)

beers

Staff member
If I install my old card, would the new card still prevent the Kernel Mode Drivers from crashing, or would my problem re-surface?

2) Introducing the bad secondary card back into your setup would give you the same/similar behavior.

Same/similar to what? Same/similar to what I have now, or same/similar to what I had previously?

Come on man :p

But yeah, I wouldn't add that unstable card back into your system. Having another SLI card to pair it with doesn't magically fix the instabilities of the secondary card.