pc-tech

banned
01010101021101041020071126e6dd9795edd8e9cea6009b19.jpg
01011201040901030120071126af79ed5967baf9acff00420c.jpg
printer/parallel splitter switch:D

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
OMG a switcher! Woot! Haven't seen those in use in a loooong time :) The old printer ports though I see occasionally, believe it or not, but only on very specific systems.

patrickv

well Parallel for printers is still in use these days, not all printers come with usb cables and we often use parallel :(

patrickv

Isn't parallel still used on like dot-matrix and some high-range laser printers?

yup, some Epson series, we have em here, am tired of even looking at those printers, it soars my eyes :eek:
and it's a pain to take em apart to service.
Some hardware will be around for a veryyyy long time :p

yup, some Epson series, we have em here, am tired of even looking at those printers, it soars my eyes :eek:
and it's a pain to take em apart to service.
Some hardware will be around for a veryyyy long time :p

I hate printers, I won't even fix mine at home, if it screws up.. I would just rather to Walmart and buy another Lexmark AIO for ~$30... I cannot fix them, they are just a regular pain in the arse. Countless times have I had ppl ask about fixing a printer. I had a call to fix a Lexmark X74's power supply cable, it had melted itself.. I went and bought one of those Lexmark 2300's for sale at Walmart and installed that for the business. They thought I had fixed it and I charged $40, it was $30 for the new printer, I just took the $10 profit and forgot about it, just out of my hatred for printer repair. They walked in the next morning and called me, thanking me and telling me I was the one and only for them from now on:rolleyes:

tlarkin

VIP Member
All high end printers are network printers for the most part. Plotters, wide format poster printers, etc. The other option is USB. Parallel ports have a super slow bandwidth (like 1.5mb) and are pretty much obsolete.

Gigabit NICs are the way to go now for printers.

tlarkin

VIP Member
the grocery store i worked at a year ago had one of those.

grocery stores use all legacy printers, like old dot matrix printers. New dot matrix printers come with USB support. It is also ungodly cheap, that is why they use it.

I have a parallel printer somewhere still, I need to throw it away.

zaroba

well yea :p

many businesses still use older stuff. simply due to the fact that most businesses don't see the need to upgrade unless absolutely necessary due to overall costs.