WIndows 10 Do screen savers not work properly with the backgrounds from downloaded themes?

JohnJSal

I downloaded a theme from the Microsoft store and am using the backgrounds from it. However, when the Bubbles screen saver activates, instead of just showing the bubble animations over the background, the entire screen turns white with the bubbles.

Is this normal with theme backgrounds? What's different about them that would cause this? Can I do something to prevent this?

Thanks!

Okedokey

A design change was made in the Windows 8 era that prevents screensavers from drawing over a desktop image. Due to this design change, any screensaver that previously drew over the Desktop, such as the Bubbles screensaver, will instead draw over the same color solid background as the one chosen for the Start screen. Ps this doesn't apply to the demo / preview mode.

JohnJSal

A design change was made in the Windows 8 era that prevents screensavers from drawing over a desktop image. Due to this design change, any screensaver that previously drew over the Desktop, such as the Bubbles screensaver, will instead draw over the same color solid background as the one chosen for the Start screen. Ps this doesn't apply to the demo / preview mode.

Wow, what a weird (and terrible) change! Thank you so much for explaining it!

JohnJSal

Is it bad for the life of my monitor to have the Bubble screensaver use a bright white background when running?

To me, it seems like it would wear out the pixels faster than a black screen, like with Mystify.

Okedokey

Best option is to hibernate teh monitor after a period (say 10min) of inactivity. Its probably not bad for the monitor, but unnecessary energy.

JohnJSal

Best option is to hibernate teh monitor after a period (say 10min) of inactivity. Its probably not bad for the monitor, but unnecessary energy.

I have the monitor set to turn off after 2 hours, but every 10 minutes seems a little too often. Won't that wear it out doing it that often, if I come back to it every now and then?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have my computer set to turn monitor off after 10 minutes and never an issue. I leave my computer on all day on my day off if I'm home. I'd rather see a black screen and wait a second or so for the monitor to wake up then see a screensaver.

JohnJSal

I have my computer set to turn monitor off after 10 minutes and never an issue. I leave my computer on all day on my day off if I'm home. I'd rather see a black screen and wait a second or so for the monitor to wake up then see a screensaver.

Good to know. I thought maybe the constant on/off would hurt the life of the screen. I usually use the Mystify screensaver since it has a black background anyway. I leave my computer on all day too, but usually it spends most of that time in sleep mode, and overnight as well. (It's almost never actually off!)