do these components work well together?

diy

hi all, I'm building my first computer.
ould someone advice me if my configuration is ok?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor
GIGABYTE AORUS X570 ELITE, socket AM4
GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile D4 2G
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16r.
Crucial BX500 1TB SSD
Seagate HDD 3.5" 2TB ST2000DM008 Barracuda
Fractal Design ION Gold 750W PSU / PC
Microsoft Windows 11 Home software
LiteOn iHAS324 – Optical drive

--------

beers

Staff member
Hello hello,

Why this specific combo of parts? 1030 is pretty low end, 2600 is a couple generations old although still usable. You might be able to consolidate the two with a 5600G APU, and you'd have a faster CPU component with a little bit better graphical performance than the 1030. If you do decide to go that route you'd gain a bit more performance with a 3600 RAM kit.

On a lower end build you might be able to save a few dollars with a B550 board, depending on the features and board you desire.

I have one of the 1TB BX500 drives, it's generally 'okay' although performs noticeably worse than DRAM drives that are only a few dollars more.

Otherwise those should be compatible.

Last edited:

diy

Hi Beers, thanks for your reply!

I will look into the options you gave me. Very curious how it will turn out...
I will come back with another list of parts. Including a sound card.
Thanks again.:)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1. Why are you gonna buy a sata SSD when you can get an NVME SSD for the just about the same price and its much faster?
2. Motherboard is overkill, mATX would suffice.
3. Go with Western Digital HDD for storage.
4. Power supply is overkill as well. Depending on what you are planning on doing with your system, a good 500 watt unit would suffice.

diy

haha, you hit bull's eye.
I don't know much about these things, I only started a few days ago studying.in order to make a configuration for a new computer.
Thanks for the pointers.

I don't game, no heavy duty. Quite common stuff.

questions: does a mATX have the same slotsizes as ATX (never saw these) e.g. for connecting a sound and video card?
and is it important for me to have 128gb internal memory on the motherboard or is 64gb sufficient?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So why do you need a video card or sound card if you don't game? If you want to stay with Ryzen then get the 5600g with onboard video as beers suggested. ATX board are mainly for using 2 video cards and having extra slots. If you go with matx motherboard you will still get 1 or 2 video card slots along with 1 or 2 pcie slots for addin cards.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-1x#kf

I'm not sure what matx boards are available in your country. I would stay with Gigabyte brand though as thats all I use and never any problems.

Onboard sound is fine for 95 percent of users. The actual speakers make the majority of the sound quality. Unless you are going to be editing audio, stay with onboard sound.

diy

always had video cards, don't know otherwise.
Always had Intel, too. Others made the configurations and I just accepted.

I like good graphics as I sometimes work with artforms in Excel or editing in Photoshop..
I like hifi sound and have high quality speakers of Bowers&Wilkens 500 euro/pair.
doesn't a soundcard improve the sound? I love hifi crystal-clear sound.
I like to see perfect images. sharp, excellent view in 1080p

I have thnew configuration.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G processor
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16

LiteOn iHAS324 – Optische drive
WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 SSD
Fractal Design ION SFX 500W Gold PSU / PC
Western Digital WD Red Pro 2TB 7200rpm 3,5" SATA

--------
It's almost 300 euros cheaper!

edit plus windows 11, so almost 200 cheaper.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Looks better. Seagate is fine for storage too, but depends who you ask. My Seagate is over 10 years old now and still chugging fine.

Sound card generally isn't necessary as onboard audio is so good these days you're only going to notice it if you're an audiophile and have expensive enough gear to be able to notice the difference. That said, it looks like you do have some pretty high end gear. I would maybe start without the sound card and if you find it lacking, add one.

Onboard video is fine unless you're doing regular 3D gaming. I wouldn't buy a dedicated GPU for that setup.

The physical slot on the back of a case is the same, but the internal connector can vary. Sound cards are going to be PCI-Express x1 though usually, which can fit in a x1 or a x16 slot, which is standard. Graphics cards are usually PCI-Express x16.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you really want to push better audio quality from computers, you'd get an external dac and amp setup. Like anything hifi related, it can get expensive really quick. Are you hooking up those B&W's to the computer?
Fractal Design ION SFX 500W Gold PSU / PC
Might want to swap that out for an ATX form factor PSU. SFX is the really tiny one for micro builds.

diy

Darren, this case is included in the build, so the ion fits. :

Fractal Design Define R6 Black tower.

The B&W are hooked up to the computer.

Will I be able to reach HD quality with the onboard graphics?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
You could always 'try' what's there and upgrade later if you feel there's more quality to gain on the sound side.

What's the price difference on the B450 and B550? I'd be somewhat concerned about the BIOS version on a B450 board supporting the latest line, depending on how long the board had been in the store's inventory. The B550 version of that board has Q-Flash so you can update the BIOS without needing a compatible CPU first, which may be a useful feature.

Also the 550 board would officially support PCIE 4.0, which would give you double the data rate over PCIE 3 in the previous iteration when interfacing with devices using the PCIE 4.0 standard such as higher end NVME drives up through 7000 MB/sec.

diy

For the motherboard I cchoose the

189,00 Alternate Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

It's much more expenssive, but only uses 111watt. I'll earn it back over the years.

Guys, thank you all very much, I learned a lot
Tonight I'll offer you a toast!!:D