do we really need a virus scaner?

dansilva

i know there are people who doesnt have a virus scaners installed in their pc, and there are others who does. do we really need a virus scaneer installed? this is to the people who doesnt have a virus scaner....have u ever had any problems at all?what happens if u get attacked by a virus? is windows xp sp2 firewall is just enough to keep your compter safe?

ZER0X

VIP Member
It's always good to have a virus scanner, but it's really up to the person if they want it or not. Just have it and scan with it every month or something. :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have no antivirus software on my computer, never had one. And never had viruses either. :cool:
But at the office we had for some time an antivirus that required to be updated (for $) every 6 months. And every time we forget to pay the upgrade we had a major virus infection. So we don't use antivirus at the office any more and we have no more viruses.

Grimulus

yeeeaaahhhh....well you have to remember something about Lorand. If Lordan breathes on a computer, it somehow runs 300mhz faster. I didn't have a scanner on mine because when you are 14 you generally don't have 40 or 50 bucks and mom wouldn't buy one, and i ended up having like 30 viruses on there...just from being on the net...I think they are well worth the buy. I would go with Norton tho, and not Mcafee, but that's just me.

dansilva

Lorand.... how do you config your computer that you won't be attacked by any virus?if you have 1mb adsl and download files almost constantly, because you download and upload lots of files so it's very much likely that almost any virus can get through. so if u don't have an anti-virus scaner how do u config that virus won't attack your pc?is window xp sp2 firewall is good enough?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have no antivirus software on my computer, never had one. And never had viruses either.

Lucky!

I cannot remember how many times I've said that same excact thing when I was using windows 98... For like 4 years not once did I get a virus and never did I use anti virus software. As soon as I moved to windows xp Blame! LOL Even to this day if I instal winXP Pro sp1 and even instal Norton 2003 but put off doing updates for a day I'll have close to ten by day2 guaranteed.

Oh ya after doing all the updates Norton does nothing besides sit there and instal updates for itself every now and again LOL. I'd imageing if I took it off I would not have a prob. But all updates must be done.

I'm actualy considering taking off Norton just to see how long it takes me to get a virus.. LOL

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
how do you config your computer that you won't be attacked by any virus?
I have only a firewall (ZoneAlarm). And never think about viruses, that's why I don't get any...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Lorand.... how do you config your computer that you won't be attacked by any virus?
he hasnt .. he has just been careful and lucky -- or he just hasnt scanned and thus wont know

is window xp sp2 firewall is good enough?
Define good-enough :)

onusie

banned
Its safer to use it , u dont have to run the antivirus everyday, u might just keep it active and run it 2ce amonth

dansilva

define "good enough" what i meant was...does xp sp2 firewall completely blocks intruders, spywares and virus attacking your computer. i am using pc-cillini 2004 at the moment now it's better than norton as far as i know,norton used to slow down my pc coz it uses alot resources. well i scan once in a while (twice every month).

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Its safer to use it , u dont have to run the antivirus everyday, u might just keep it active and run it 2ce amonth

Yup! :).. and of course the whole idea would be to use autoprotect of course... I never run Norton scans on my machine because if autoprotect doesn't find it durring normal operation then I figure i'm clean.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
define "good enough" what i meant was...does xp sp2 firewall completely blocks intruders, spywares and virus attacking your computer.

I would imageing No, I dont think there's a firewall or virus scanner out there that keeps you 100% protected so I would definatly think that windows firewall although Is a help is definatly a big no on 100% protection.

Norton really is one of the best out there and I say "one of the best" not the best. I still get virus's every now and again that need manual removal! and this is with Windows firewall active as well.

superflysmith

dansilva said:
i know there are people who doesnt have a virus scaners installed in their pc, and there are others who does. do we really need a virus scaneer installed? this is to the people who doesnt have a virus scaner....have u ever had any problems at all?what happens if u get attacked by a virus? is windows xp sp2 firewall is just enough to keep your compter safe?

Firewall is not the same as an anti-virus.
http://itvibe.com/default.aspx?NewsID=2915 88 percent of personal computers have encountered virus attacks during the past 12 months

I don't run neither Norton or McAffe these programs are both hogs and want to take over your computer. Out of the two I'd choose Norton though. I personally use a free anti-virus that updates almost on a daily basis and I always leave it running because it is nice and small.

http://www.avast.com/ download it and enjoy. Just to warn you every once in awhile it'll talk to you. It says 'your data base has been updated' first time I heard it, it startled me. It also will sound an alarm if it comes across a virus.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For people that dont have ANYTHING its good. Most free firewalls will do a better job and be less intrusive tho

does xp sp2 firewall completely blocks intruders, spywares and virus attacking your computer
No. It doesnt even come close. Its arguable that nothign can completely block anyhing out. The closest you can ever get to completely locking things out is prolly with whitelisting + MAC filtering + passwords.

are both hogs and want to take over your computer.
Got any documented proof of this?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't run neither Norton or McAffe these programs are both hogs and want to take over your computer.

I disagree 100% I forget that Norton is even running on my system unitl an update window pops up. I have dissabled it b4 to play a game to see if there was an improvement gain and there was none in game or at desktop.

mailliw

I didn,t have good scanning on mine, it crashed.Wnen it was finally rebooted a scan was performed. Over 200 viruses were found and removed. Now i have plenty of scanning power.

kb1ghc

psss, for the longest time i didn't use a virus scanner, no problem, but i do recommend avast antivirus, their home edition is free. and it works pretty good, and isn't a system hog or an annoyance

pointofexit

Blue said:
I disagree 100% I forget that Norton is even running on my system unitl an update window pops up. I have dissabled it b4 to play a game to see if there was an improvement gain and there was none in game or at desktop.

Not all of us have 64mb Processers running a 3.4GHz. :p

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
I think some people here are a bit confused...

Firewalls never did block viruses until the virus writers figured out how to use network ports. They used to only be email and macro born. So in years past you could be perfectly fine without AV protection if you watched what you opened in email and Office documents. But this past few years has seen viruses take on a whole new capability, they not only use email, but ports and network share, IM protocols and anything else you may use to communicate one computer to another. SO, DO WE REALLY NEED A VIRUS SCANNER? If your on the net NOW DAYS... YES,... your just plain ignorant and/or naive if you don't.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not all of us have 64mb Processers running a 3.4GHz. :p
Yeah my P3-800 doesnt flinch from having a whitelist firewall and NAVCE on it

Firewalls never did block viruses until the virus writers figured out how to use network ports.
Contestable. Consider any firewall that has process control (plus a knowledgeable user). Virii (for the most part) still need to be executed and new processes that added to the stack will (or should be) intercepted by the firewall and you can choose to allow that proces to execute or not. I will concede macro viri wont (or i wouldnt expect it to) be blocked by a firewall

SO, DO WE REALLY NEED A VIRUS SCANNER? If your on the net NOW DAYS... YES,... your just plain ignorant and/or naive if you don't.
Hehe you could deepfreeze your system and then you wouldnt need a virus scanner :p but then of course if you know what that means or have such a system implemented then you already know how to take care of yourself hehe so your point still stands