Do wireless routers work with DSL service?

JohnJSal

Probably a silly question, but I want to be sure. My parents want to buy a notebook, so obviously they will need a wireless router now. But before I go through with it all, I wanted to make sure a regular router would work with a DSL connection as it does with a cable connection.

From what I can tell on there DSL modem, there is an ethernet cable-like cord plugged in back there (along with the phone cord), so I assume the phone cord stays there and the bigger cable is what I use with the router, just as if it were a cable connection?

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the ethernet cable coming from the dsl modem will plug into the internet port on the router.

However, some providers give you a modem/router combo unit. I would make sure its not a router first. What model number of modem is it?

JohnJSal

Yes, the ethernet cable coming from the dsl modem will plug into the internet port on the router.

However, some providers give you a modem/router combo unit. I would make sure its not a router first. What model number of modem is it?

Thanks. I'd have to check, but I know there are no extra ports on the back of the modem, so I doubt it's a combo.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I misread your post so I deleted what i originally sent.

If there are no extra ports then I doubt its a combo unit.

What provider do they have?

BurningSkyline

That is what we have... My parents are too cheap to upgrade and I can't afford to. Our WiFi works fine though. (Our service is 1.5/0.6 or something like that.)

Sorry for the lack of a useful post though.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Most wireless routers can work with a DSL modem just fine.

It is a matter of setting up the router to 'dial into' the DSL modem, and the best way to do that would be to plug a computer directly into the router.

Otherwise, you try and change settings on a wireless router via wireless and you run the risk of locking yourself out.

Some more modern DSL modems do feature wireless capability... I'd bounce the model number on a web-search just to be sure that isn't the case with you. If it does have wireless. then you wouldn't need a router.