Do you have a backup plan? What happens in event of a disaster?

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Okay, so I had a backup, sorta.

I have my laptop, and I have the 'DngrLab' computer, which is situated in the garage, which is a standalone structure.

A few weeks ago, as I was pondering a software upgrade, I went to back up my laptop. Unfortunately, the Dngrlab backup drive was getting full, so I backed up the 'important' stuff, like my documents folder and music, vowing to clean out the drive so I could do a full backup.

Two days later, the hard drive on my laptop stopped spinning. Good thing I had just backed up!

So, I got a replacement drive (warranty rocks) and went to get my backed up files-- the DngrLab computer died. Motherboard fried.

I bought a P4 at a yard sale (they wanted $20, I talked them down to $13), but it didn't have SATA ports, so I had to order an adapter. While I was at it, I bought a 2TB NAS drive.

So, hack the drives into the new computer, and access my backup drive.

I have my music (in triplicate), got my documents, no offline blog. So anything I saved to my personal journal that was not emailed to somebody else is lost forever.

SO I get to start with a clean slate-- I have 2TB of storage which will take care of my laptop and my wife's, daughters, our combined music library, etc. but it is currently residing in the closet where I keep the firewall.

What happens if a tornado appears? Or an earthquake? Even if I put it into the garage, that's still on-premises.

I am going to have to start moving data onto the cloud, it seems, or carry a drive to work...

wolfeking

banned
haha, backups. Thats my specialty, sorta.

I backup everything to a offsite server (at grandads 140 miles away, so chances are if anything happens here, its not happening there).Got 3 3TB drives in RAID for reliability, and am planning on getting a server here to start running some online business and onsite backup of the work computers.
Also, keep an external hard drive. a TB or so is fine for most, and this is easily accessable (but a bit bulky to keep with you, oh what I wouldnt do for a TB sized flash key).

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Everything I want that's irreplaceable is stored on a spindle of 30 DVD+RWs. It take just one evening a month to back it all up.
The spindle is right by the door to grab in case the house burns down or something:p