Do you need other anti-virus program with Windows 10?

ssal

I have been using AVG Free since whenever and carried it over to my current Windows 10 system.
I have seen a few posts saying that the Windows Firewall protection is good enough to the point I don't need other anti-virus program.
I'd like to get rid of AVG if I can because they pop too much warning about how I am exposed, or how many threats they had stopped.
Let me hear why I should or should not keep AVG in my system.
Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If Avg is anything like avast all its doing is hounding you saying there is stuff wrong with your system to get you to actually the product. Thought Avast bought out AVG?

i use windows defender and malwarebytes free edition
if you dont click on suspicious links or use unsecured websites then you really dont need a anti virus for regular internet browsing just scan regulary with malwarebytes free edition

Pupp

I use a premium version of Norton's. Some here think it sucks, but after many years of using Norton's, I've yet to have an issue.

My online habits are less risky than many people though

Since you are that concerned about the security of your computer, allow me to help you out to get a better security without installing multiple antivirus softwares etc..

As i have said before! Anti-virus software does very little if you do not install your PC correctly..

The "Microsoft way" of installing Windows to your PC is THE WRONG WAY TO GO! (That is to sign in with your Microsoft-account at the end of the setup, since you will always sign in with administrative rights.

First of all your computer gets only 1 account so when login etc. fails, you are effectively locked out of your own computer (How great is that!?)

Secondly you are always signed in with administrative rights, something that only benefits those who create and spread malware, since this makes it SO MUCH EASIER FOR THE MALWARE TO ATTACK YOU, since you, yourself, let every malware (or hacker for that matter) to inherit YOUR OWN ADMINISTRATORS RIGHTS!

By using your administrative rights they can easily cause havoc in your computer.

You should instead avoid giving malware access to your administrative rights by creating a LOCAL administrators account (named something like: PCAdmin etc.) and from there create a regular useraccount for your self, that you connect to your Microsoft -account...

This way you no longer let any malware or other attacks to use YOUR administrative rights to cause havoc in your computer, and this also gives any anti-virus software a better chance to clean any malwares, IF you run into them, since the malwares has not had the rights to inject code to systemfiles, or to change systemwide settings in the registry etc.

And some people will claim that UAC protects you when you an use administrators account, but that is an misconception, The UAC only protects a few things...

In Windows vista the UAC was protecting much more stuff, but the continuous UAC popups made people go crazy.. so in more modern Windows the UAC does NOT protect a user with administrative rights much at all.. As you may have noticed before...

As you all can read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...account-control/user-account-control-overview the UAC is created to ALLOW regular users to perform administrative tasks without signing in and out all the time.. (Hence the "hidden" message is that it does close to nothing to protect a user who uses the administrators account all the time)

Others will claim that Common sense will protect you, but in real life this does little to protect you, it only hinders you more.. Common sense says it´s OK to install addons to your browser "for safety" but then there is the issue of malicious code being found in these addons..

So in those cases "common sense" would put you at risk!

Common sense does for instans not protect you from malicious adverts, nor does it protect you if you visit a hacked, normally trustworthy website..

So .. create a SEPARATE dedicated Administrators account (call it like: PCAdmin) and use a regular useraccount your self.

(And yes! I know I will get a lot of down-votes for telling this truth.. But this knowledge has been known since the times of Windows NT... And it is still true!)