do you use anti-static bags/sheets?

skuvnar

hey,
do you use those items when upgrading motherboard/pc?
Have you encountered any problems (how often) if you don't use them.

I haven't used them for my previous upgrades, but considered buying some since my friend says it could prevent my mobo from serious damage.

-thanks

robina_80

no havnt used one dont want to ive used them at college when building computers thats because we got to but if your careful you dont need to use it

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
All the parts that i fit at work come with antistatic bags; also we have to wear antistatic wrist straps at all times.
Case in point; a guy that sits near me wasn't wearing his wrist strap for a few days and at least 50% of the mainboard he fitted had something wrong with them. It was probably exaggerated because he was also wearing a fleece jacket lol

Infected Cat

Dude one of the golden rules when around computer hardware (assuming its not already installed in you're system) is to always have it covered by an anti static bag, if you don’t then you might as well stamp on it as your motherboard is as good as dead if you touch it with your hands. Human hands can produce enough static electricity to kill a fly so keep that in mind next time you’re around computer hardware.

Regards
Hacker cat

Last edited:

Jiffyman

I never use anti static wrist straps for my stuff and have never had a part die on me, but when I go to someones else's house to fix their stuff I try to make it a point to wear one. As for anti static bags I usually put my parts in them unless it's something crappy.

H_L

It depends on where you live, what you wear and what flooring you have.
If you live out west in Australia with carpet and a fleece jacket now that is a disaster.
What I would do is use them!!! it's best to be safe than sorry when you zap a $1000 graphics card

jedijeff123

i let my little 5 year-old cousin use those to go trick-or treating with. hey, at least his candy wont get fried by static.:D :D :D :D

XFs

Always when assembling a PC from scratch.
I never take a chance here.

Not always when I'm swapping hard drives.
I just touch the frame of the PC first.
The HDD goes directly into an anti-static bag.

It really depends on the type of clothing, carpeting, seat material.
If they are more synthetic and you have dry weather, you should use precautions all the time.

K3rupt

i let my little 5 year-old cousin use those to go trick-or treating with. hey, at least his candy wont get fried by static.:D :D :D :D

WOO haha thats one of the funniest things ive seen posted. lol. but on the topic, when ive got say the mobo out, i will sit it on the anti static back only because thats what it came in and i need somwhere to put it while i move things...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yes and no. If I have a nice card to store, I'll try to keep it in an anti-static bag. If I ship something, I also try to use one. However, wrapping something in paper is quite effective, too. That's my alternative method and so far it's worked fine :p

wicked859

banned
I use them when I need to set something down, or for example Im bringing one with me today, to pick up my raptor from a guy.

Jerrick

Sorry for the bump, but I figured it would be better than making a new thread about this.

Im getting a lot of new parts coming in, and im not chancing anything. For the last 5-6 years ive never even though about anti-static bands, as ive never had a problem with it, but now im just being careful.

Anyways, the kit I bought says "Or, you can remove the alligator clip and plug the grounded cord's banana plug into the round ground hole on a standard AC outlet."

So instead clipping it to my case, I can just plug it into my oulet in the wall? Just seems weird to me.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It's not really that weird, if you clip it in the case any static will flow pretty much band->case&PSU->earth wire of you comp's power cable->socket(in the wall)->wherever

When plugged directly in the wall, the parts I highlighted blue will just be skipped, but in practice it still does the exact same thing. Just make sure you don't clip it in the live wire ;):p

(I did get your question right, didn't I???)

EDIT: Also, in the future you may want to just create a new thread, no need to dig up old threads only because they're somewhat relevant to your question.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
Dude one of the golden rules when around computer hardware (assuming its not already installed in you're system) is to always have it covered by an anti static bag, if you don’t then you might as well stamp on it as your motherboard is as good as dead if you touch it with your hands. Human hands can produce enough static electricity to kill a fly so keep that in mind next time you’re around computer hardware.

Regards
Hacker cat

i have man handled all my componants without anti static anything!

no problems up to now-ive fixed loads and built loads-

i think it because to many people put there clothes in the dryer or have one of them static balls in there pockets lol!

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
i have man handled all my componants without anti static anything!

no problems up to now-ive fixed loads and built loads-

i think it because to many people put there clothes in the dryer or have one of them static balls in there pockets lol!

Way to reply to a post (by a member not active for ages) from last year ;):p:D