Does a Corsair Carbide 200r Need Motherboard Standoffs?

Solo Popo

So I have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157506

in this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018

Are standoff screws necessary in this setup? I only vaguely remember, but I don't think the motherboard would have lined up correctly with the back panel if I installed screws. The first time I set this computer up I had boot issues, but it did work eventually for seemingly no identifiable reason later. It worked for about 3 months, then the motherboard crapped out on me. I wasn't entirely sure I correctly diagnosed the problem until Asrock sent me back a different motherboard that actually worked when I hooked it up, and it has been working ever since (about a year). But I did have that same strange issue where it didn't turn on at first. It turned on later for no reason without me changing anything. I have had zero problems with this thing ever since that first day and I'm a little afraid to touch anything at this point, given my past frustrations with it.

TL;DR: Is it worth removing my motherboard to install standoffs if my computer has already been working fine for a year? There have been power issues in the past, but a motherboard RMA fixed it. I'm not sure if the lack of standoffs caused the motherboard problems to begin with.

Solo Popo

standoff screws come with the case.

Are you certain? I just looked through the box of everything that came with it and there are no standoffs. Maybe I did put them in the case, but I don't think so. There are no standoffs in the picture of everything provided in the link.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
They should be preinstalled inside the case or comes in it's own baggy with instructions on where they should be installed depending on your motherboard form factor.

If you're missing standoffs, contact Corsair's RMA support and they'll probably just send you a set.

Laquer Head

100% what @Intel_man is saying.. you should have the screws in a baggie. The standoffs, like most Corsair cases are already attached to the motherboard tray.

If you don't have the screws, call/email Corsair tell them you never got the screws included, and they'll send them out.

PROTIP: When posting a screenshot, make sure you close tabs of questionable content first!!

beers

Staff member
I have that case, they come in the bag. IIRC there were a couple that were pre-screwed in at typical ATX locations but also extra spares.

Is it worth removing my motherboard to install standoffs
You are likely using the preinstalled standoffs. If your MB didn't have standoffs then it'd short out against the case and cease to function.

Laquer Head

I have that case, they come in the bag. IIRC there were a couple that were pre-screwed in at typical ATX locations but also extra spares.

You are likely using the preinstalled standoffs. If your MB didn't have standoffs then it'd short out against the case and cease to function.

In addition, if you didn't use screws, I fail to see how the motherboard wouldn't short and/or physically stay in place, not being secured by the standoff screws, nor would it line up in the case properly.