Does a Toshiba Laptop need battery to turn on?

paulcheung

Hi guys,

I have this Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837. The battery was dying for a while. It keeping tell me to replace the battery, I can't change it yet as I live in Jamaica I can't get the same battery here, I have use the laptop with the charger for quite some time with the dying battery in the laptop.

Few week back the laptop refuse to turn on, I am wonder if just because the battery totally dead, Does this laptop need a functional battery in order to turn on even the A/C power supply is plug in? any one have any experience on this? I know some UPS need a good battery to turn on but I did not know if a laptop does that.

I look at Amazon.com find a battery can fit on this laptop, but I need to know if is really the battery I need or the laptop is dead otherwise before I throw away $16 for the battery.

Thanks.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
No laptop needs a battery installed in order to function. Just plugging the unit into the adapter should work.

I look at Amazon.com find a battery can fit on this laptop, but I need to know if is really the battery I need or the laptop is dead otherwise before I throw away $16 for the battery.

Yeah, no. A $16 won't cut it. You'll just end up killing your laptop with a cheap ass battery. Look to spend around $100 for a decent replacement.

paulcheung

Well, it is not working when I plug in the power supply. the blue light come on and the orange light is not on. it can't turn on.

Thanks.

tremmor

try starting the laptop and wait. slowly tilt the screen inward and outward and see if ya get a screen. this is the problem i had.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the battery still connected to the laptop? If so, remove it and keep charger plugged in and see if it starts up. A bad battery can cause irreversible damage to the motherboard.

paulcheung

It must be damaged. I have the battery there all the times. now no matter what I do. it won't power on.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the battery and test. Also remove battery, unplug charger, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds then wait a few minutes. Reconnect charger and try booting up.