Does any power supply work for any pc?

AAAsnwbordr

I have a sony vaio desktop and it only came with a 290 watt power supply. I found a power supply on sale that is 520 watts and I want to get it. Will it work for my computer, does any power supply work or is there a certain type? PLEASE RESPOND. The sale ends soon!

Gr3yG0053

but are the atx supply safe. I was told always buy a quality power supply because it can fry you system. But I bought a ATX of of ebay and after putting it into my computer I now have to buy a new Mobo?

computerdude2004

ATX is just the design of your motherboard. If you have an ATX motherboard you need an ATX power supply or else the power connectors will be wrong for the botherboard. You probably gave your motherboard too much power in the BIOS and fried it. Also, make sure that your computer has enough power for all of the devices. You can hurt your computer if your PSU doesn't have enough power to supply all of your devices with the power you need.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Will it work for my computer, does any power supply work or is there a certain type?
Cant be sure. Most OEMs use some funky power connectors to force you to goto them and such. Dell and Gateway have been known to do so in the past and such, Sony, being stupid, may have followed that route as well ... have a look at the ATX connector on your mobo to be sure