Does Downloading Say 1 Hour Daily Use up A lot of Energy per My Utility Bill?

I have very high Electricity charges in my Utility Bills. Does Downloading an estimated 1 Hour Daily (7 Hours a week) contribute significantly to my Energy Costs? Thank you for your answers.

beers

Staff member
Not really, your PC remains largely idle (which is an expense in itself), although having an active NIC for those downloads only equates to a couple watts.

Trizoy

VIP Member
400W Power Supply uses ~400Watts of power per hour. At ~$0.30 for 1 kwh(1000Watts for an hour), that's $0.12 per hour(For high California Electricity Rates).
The expensive things for high bills are big motors like a Air Conditioning, Spa pump or Pool pump, or electric heaters(Spa Heater, Pool Heater, Hot Water Tank, House Heaters etc.).

Good luck.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Um, no. PSUs only draw the load from the components and don't constantly max out to their rated capacity.
So you want me to build that Into my answer? Or say something like <$0.12 an hour? What if he has a 300w PSU?!? The estimate would be way off! Thanks for the great addition to the thread.

StrangleHold

Staff member
400W Power Supply uses ~400Watts of power per hour. At ~$0.30 for 1 kwh(1000Watts for an hour), that's $0.12 per hour(For high California Electricity Rates).
The expensive things for high bills are big motors like a Air Conditioning, Spa pump or Pool pump, or electric heaters(Spa Heater, Pool Heater, Hot Water Tank, House Heaters etc.).

Good luck.
So you want me to build that Into my answer? Or say something like <$0.12 an hour? What if he has a 300w PSU?!? The estimate would be way off! Thanks for the great addition to the thread.
Your power supply constantly pulls different amount of power from the time you turn your computer on till its off, makes no difference the size of the power supply..