Does excessive use ruin a PC's dvd or cd drive?

Vlad Impaler

Does excessive use ruin,destroy or burn out a PC's dvd or cd drive?
I am new to computer gaming and am about to buy the Sims 2 game. They have 2 versions: DVD and CD. The DVD game has extra content and I would like to buy it rather than the CD version,but I have concerns on using the DVD drive too much and burning it out. I have seperate DVD(DVD+RW/+R) and CD(CD-ROM ) drives on my computer and if I am gonna burn one up eventually by excessive use,I would rather it be the cheaper CD Rom drive. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Vlad

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
There is always a chance of wearing out and ruining any piece of electronic hardware. Even though they are made to last, problems can occur.... but in general let me just tell you that living your life scared is not an answer....

My advice is, you bought the DVD drive, USE IT!

Every time I read or write to my HARD DRIVE there is a chance that one of the read/write heads will move 0.00000000001 of a millimeter and smack into one of the disks causing a catastrophic mess and for all tense and purposes rendering a large section of my hard drive unusable.. but that doesn’t stop me from saving any file I am working on every 10 seconds.

wear and tear is just part of things... how ever much you spent on your DVD drive... it will be a waste if you don’t use the drive because you don’t want it to break! (hope that makes sense)

okay... to wrap things up before I end up writing a thesis paper:

buy the DVD version and ENJOY IT!

ZER0X

VIP Member
It's fine dude....have you found any problems with it lately? yes/no? if not keep using it. My friend was using his dvd drive since his Pentium 3....and that was ages ago, he put it in he's new AMD and only lately has it gotten old ;) (EG - Drive reading slower)

hbalagh

I used to be worried about that way back when i bought my first CDRW but that was back in the day when the drive still cost $400.00 but now a days even DVD burners are as cheap as $50.00 So i wouldn't stress over it even if it does get overworked... everything in time has to be replaced....

calvinius

I only buy dvd versions if i can, mainly because i'd rather have a game on 1 dvd disc than 4-5 cd disks. and as previous posts suggest the drives are dirt cheap nowadays anyways ( i paid £134 for a 6 speed cd drive many years ago) :eek:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Does excessive use ruin a PC's dvd or cd drive?
You better believe it :p With about 7K CDs burned under my belt I can definitely say some drives have endurance .. and some defintely dont :p (i.e., some cheaper drives will die after about 200 discs in rapid-fire sequence). For all intents and pursposes though, most people will be ok

I am gonna burn one up eventually by excessive use,I would rather it be the cheaper CD Rom drive
Consdier this:
- CDROM = $20, DVDROM = $30
- CDversion = a whole bunch of CDs that can get scratched
- DVDversion = one thing that can get scratched
:)

My advice is, you bought the DVD drive, USE IT!
I concurr

but now a days even DVD burners are as cheap as $50.00
Yes but those cheap burners have damn near zero endurance :)