Does Hard Drive Size Affect Memory/Speed of Operations

This question is more in pertaining to my laptop as I have a 120 Gig Desktop.
Anyway, I use My Thinkpad T23, as a second computer in my house, to use in the bedroom when I'm too lazy to use the desktop in the den. I only use the Thinkpad for the Internet & ocassional burning & downloading. As such, I bought this with only a 30 gig Hard Drive as there's nothing I need to really save on their or do complex tasks. Since I've had it for a year, I almost always have had at least 18 gigs free, or 60% of the Hard Drive free. As such, this won't affect my RAM & speed will it, as I consider that plenty of space for what I'm using it for. Thanks for your response.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Hard drives that are nearly full are slower than ones that are mostly empty. The reason is because drives that are almost full have to fragment files more often so it takes longer to access them. 18GB is lots of free space so you don't have to worry about it.
It wont effect your RAM speed if you your drive is full or not.

Grimulus

Hard drives that are nearly full are slower than ones that are mostly empty. The reason is because drives that are almost full have to fragment files more often so it takes longer to access them. 18GB is lots of free space so you don't have to worry about it.
It wont effect your RAM speed if you your drive is full or not.

QFT

oscaryu1

VIP Member
What cromewell said is true. Thats one reason you defragment your HDD, it moves all your (lets say word documents) to one spot on the hard drive, so it isnt scattered everywhere, do it is easier for the HDD to read it from one spot than go crazylooking for it.