Does increasing the amount of case fans cost more money?

Aastii

VIP Member
At 3.36W, no, your average light bulb, even flourescent, will use several times more energy than each fan does.

To work it out, it would take ~300 hours of the fan being spun at max RPM for it to use 1KWh worth of electricity. Check your bill for how much you are paying per KWh, it should be pennies. You would have to use your computer a hell of a lot for it to have any impact greater than a couple of cents a month

StrangleHold

Staff member
This has to be a joke. A case fan affecting my energy bill severely, lol. Hold your breath as long as you can. Then let it out and the rapid breathing to catch up on oxygen will heat up the room enough to save on your heating cost.

Kano

Where I live that fan would cost me about £3-5 per year depending on who you're with if ran for 24/7/365.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I just installed http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MegaFlow-Computer-R4-LUS-07AR-GP/dp/B002LE8BJA and I'm wondering if it will affect my energy bill severely. I don't mind a couple of extra dollars a year but my computer is on 24/7.
Are you running a server? Are you participating in a distributed computing project such as Folding@Home or BOINC? Are you rendering video commercially? A PC on 24/7 will cost you. The number of fans, though, matter a lot less.

Okedokey

As Aasttii said, it will cost less than a buck a year. In fact, it may even save you money as the heat reduction may improve efficiency of other more energy consuming parts (e.g. CPU, mobo etc).