Does it hurt to set a game to higher resolution than your monitor supports?

JohnJSal

Hi everyone. I just started playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast today, and I noticed that it doesn't quite have a full range of screen resolutions to pick from. It has 1600x1200 (or thereabouts) and then oddly the next (and last) option is something like 2500x1200 (I'm sort of making this up because I don't remember exactly, but I know the first number was over 2000).

My monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, so I chose the 1600 resolution. Would it hurt to choose the higher one since my screen doesn't actually support it? Would it even do anything?

Thanks!

JohnJSal

It won't display.

Well, for a second I did choose the higher resolution, and after I applied it the screen went back to the main menu. I saw the menu like normal. In fact, it didn't seem all that different from the lower resolution. But I switched it back because I didn't know if it would cause any issues.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did the menu size change? I'm not familiar with the game so idk how it operates. Some games don't change menu resolution and the selected resolution is only applied after you start the actual game.

JohnJSal

Did the menu size change? I'm not familiar with the game so idk how it operates. Some games don't change menu resolution and the selected resolution is only applied after you start the actual game.

It didn't seem to change size. I didn't try to enter the game though.

The game came out before widescreens were really a thing.

You can set a custom resolution here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694118

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

If you have a 700, 900-series card from Nvidia (maybe other series too) you can run them in DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) which renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and then intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor.

Using a 750TI card, my old school, 9 year old, Asus monitor (1920 x 1200) is running 3840 x 2400 in Nvidia DSR now.. looks pretty good for an old monitor