Does such a diagnstic board exist?

Aaron Reinhard

Hey all, I was going through all of my PC parts and posting them on eBay when it occurred to me--I don't have computers old enough to test many of my hardware cards. Then, I thought to myself: What if there was a diagnostic board--about the size of an ATX motherboard--that had one of every different type of PCI, RAM, and CPU slot and the ability to run diagnostics on each--one at a time?

Does anything remotely similar to this exist? I know there are boards that can attach to motherboards through various ports, but what about a board that is a motherboard-type tool itself on which individual parts can be tested?

beers

Staff member
Nothing I've ever heard of.

There are a few combo boards that are useful that have multi sockets (such as 754 and 939) or multiple RAM types (ie DDR2 & DDR3 slots).

At least PCIE is backwards compatible, if you just had a 16x slot you can test pretty much any PCIE card.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Nothing I've ever heard of.

There are a few combo boards that are useful that have multi sockets (such as 754 and 939) or multiple RAM types (ie DDR2 & DDR3 slots).

At least PCIE is backwards compatible, if you just had a 16x slot you can test pretty much any PCIE card.

+1, I've not seen any. It would be nice to have a board like this when it comes to diagnosing problems, instead of needs multiple test beds. I have tried to take advantage of boards supporting different memory types with sockets that support more cpu's. Especially intel don't help when they seeming release a new socket when I turn my back for 5 minutes, 1366, 2011, 1156, 1155 and 1151 I mean, come on :D