Does the Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura support the RTX 2070 Super?

BrandonBerry123

I'm thinking of upgrading to an RTX 2070 Super to replace my GTX 750 Ti. Thing is, I have an Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura and 600 watts of power supply. I'm probably going to get a 650-watt power supply, but I am wondering if my motherboard is compatible with the RTX 2070 Super. If anyone knows if it is compatible or not, then please let me know. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The 600 watt psu will be fine for the 2070 providing its a decent brand and the output is good. 550 watts is required for the 2070 super. What processor do you have? It will work in your motherboard. Video card is pcie 3.0 and the motherboard is pcie 2.0

BrandonBerry123

(Sorry for the super late reply, that's my bad) I have an AMD FX 8350 with 8 cores. I know the video card is PCI 3.0 and my motherboard is 2.0. Does that mean I have to upgrade my motherboard, (and in turn basically my pc) or not?

BrandonBerry123

I think I might just fully upgrade my pc, considering my pc is pretty out of date. ( I mean, I have a GPU from 5 years ago, and a processor from like 6 or 8 years ago, I think I need an upgrade.) So I think I'm just gonna get a fully upgraded pc during like black Friday or Christmas season cause those are when stuff like GPUs and such are on sale. So yeah, I'm just gonna upgrade my pc. I don't know if that's the right decision or the best, but oh well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The new video card will work in your old system as they are backwards compatible. The 8350 is getting quite old though. But if your system does everything you want it to pretty decently then not sure if you should upgrade.

BrandonBerry123

Yeah, although I don't really wanna buy like a $700 video card, and then it doesn't work with my motherboard. I know I'm making it sound like I don't trust you, but I really just don't wanna risk it haha. And again, my pc is really out of date, so I think it's a good idea to upgrade. And besides, I was gonna have to upgrade anyway, so why not just like do it now, ya know?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its gonna work no matter what though. maybe not full power since its a generation behind but it will still work. You can always buy it and see how it works and then if it doesn't perform the way you think, then upgrade your whole system. Installing a video card takes what 5 minutes if that. Building a new system takes time, money and a fresh install of windows which means more time reinstalling games and apps and setting things up the way you want it.

wingman99

I agree with johnb35 purchase the video card and that might be all you need. Upgrade the rest of the system if you want more.

beers

Staff member
The usual rule with a couple of specific exceptions is that if it's PCIE and fits it should work. Usually you would want at least UEFI support though, but the 970 should have an option for that.

I had a 8350 back in 2012 and it was kinda slow then unless OC'd to like 4.8, check out the new zen3 that's dropping early November as the one you have will hold you back a noticeable/perceptible amount.

BrandonBerry123

(Very sorry for replying to this thread late, its been due to life and stuff) I think I am gonna fully upgrade because if I do get an RTX 2070, my CPU will just get bottlenecked by my GPU. And I have my sights on a Ryzen 5 3600X because it's at a good price and is still pretty good. I would go for a Ryzen 7, but it costs a bit more, and that Ryzen 5 3600X and Ryzen 7 3700X are very similar. So I'm just gonna get a full upgrade.

beers

Staff member
The Ryzen 5k series should drop November 5th, I'd see how the reviews pan out for those and also probably will witness a price cut on existing stock.

ThatOne

It's actually your CPU that bottlenecks the GPU not the other way around but I can tell you that at 1080p and FX 8350 with a 2070 Super would be similar to an R5 3600 with a GTX 1660ti or RTX 2060 (non super) - no joke, so yes get at least an R5 2600 or 3600 to go with that GPU. You actually don't need the R5 3600x just the R5 3600 they are within a few frames of each other. Alas, now you can't even get the RTX 2070 (or 2060) or 2080, or any 3000 series without paying 30-50% over cost. The only way to get that GPU or any good GPU now is buy buying a pre-built sadly. Pandemic/scalper pricing for all gaming GPU's and for Ryzen 5000 series.