Does This Video Card Require too Much from My Power Supply?

2048Megabytes

Active Member
My onboard video is running like garbage so I am saving to buy another video card. Does this video card require too much from my power supply? My power supply specifications are the following:

OKIA-450ATX, 450 Watt Power Supply. Here is a website with the power supply specifications:
http://www.isitoday.com/cgi-bin/isi/PS-OKIA-450ATX.html

Here is the video card I want:

PNY VCG96512GXPB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133216

Might I also mention I have two hard drives in my system.
 
Thanks for the information. The PNY VCG88512GXEB-FLB GeForce 8800 GT video card won't require me to upgrade my power supply will it?
 
The 8800GT has the same requirements as the 9600GT, min. 400 watts with 26 amps. But I,m sure the 9600GT would not pull as much. I,ve ordered 6 of the PNY 8800GT, havent had a problem with any of them. Your P/S is coming short on the 12V rail only having 18 amps. So I couldnt guarantee anything.
 
Yeah you would need a new power supply. My power supply (although very loud) is good for the price. Runs the card and all of my other components with a lot of room to spare. Only cons are it's not very efficient and the fan is garbage, but the power is very good. Got it for $50. Although any PSU around 500W usually has the same rails so just look around.

I,ve ordered 6 of the PNY 8800GT
What are you doing with 6 8800GT's!?! Haha I'm grateful for my one. :P
 
The 8800GT has the same requirements as the 9600GT, min. 400 watts with 26 amps. But I,m sure the 9600GT would not pull as much. I,ve ordered 6 of the PNY 8800GT, havent had a problem with any of them. Your P/S is coming short on the 12V rail only having 18 amps. So I couldnt guarantee anything.

I think the Antec would not be adequate but the Thermaltake would be. Am I right?

Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Power Supply - $51

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371019

Thermaltake TR2 RX W0134RU 550W Power Supply - $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153059
 
Last edited:
What are you doing with 6 8800GT's!?! Haha I'm grateful for my one. :P

I build computers, so I always buy a few at a time.

I think the Antec would not be adequate but the Thermaltake would be. Am I right?

Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Power Supply - $51

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371019

Thermaltake TR2 RX W0134RU 550W Power Supply - $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153059

I like these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101021
 
Back
Top