does too much images on hard disk , and contentious editing those images cause problem for Hard disk

aniket

i know this question seems silly,
but i want to know,
some background about me..
i am photo-shop artist i use photo-shop daily ..as hobby and profession,
i have about 200,000 images stored on my hard disk. of different places , background, ,you will get idea as photoshop artist i need those images ,
total memory about 25 GB on my hard disk, i know many of you have that much images with you also, BUT
i use almost 100-150 images daily , edit them and store them , and store new images ,mean that data changes daily,

but i m facing problem of hard disk crash since i started working on those images..my hard disk crash after 8-9 months ,
first i tried reinstalling my windows OS, it work fine when OS is new, but same problem after few months..
so i bought new hard disk , same problem for that hard disk after year or so..

i change 2 hard disk..and i face only problem for hard disk crashing,
i have voltage stabilizer for PC so i can not be because of voltage fluctuation ..
when i had no choice and had to continue work, i started using one of my old lenovo laptop.
same problem started in laptop also.
so this time purchase new hard disk install new OS on PC , and use hard disk of laptop as portable by using USB casing, in which i save my images.
now again after about a year , same problem stated but this time in my portable hard disk,( old laptop hard disk)
whenever i connect it, to my PC or any my friends PC, laptop, OS start to hang.. and return to normal when i disconnect portable hard disk..
since this last year i had use that hardisk only to store images and edit almost daily,
..so i will be happy if any one knows what is solution for my problem.

thanks in advance..

AlienMenace

I might not be able to help you much, not like the guys here. But do you use a desktop or a laptop to do it. Are you using one hard drive for everything. I can understand the last question if it is a laptop. But a desktop can hold multiple drives. Like in my computer, I have a SSD hard drive for my Windows and other programs and then I have a 1tb for all my data. But if I was doing what you do, I would use at least 2 or more mechanical hard drives (regular hard drives) for Photoshop and leave the primary (SSD) drive alone.

The problem I think is the that you are reading and writing to the drive so much, that you are wearing them out faster.

Another question. Do you defrag the hard drives?

Sorry about not helping you so much, never came across something like that. Hard drive normally runs 3 to 5 yrs under normal use, in less the hard drives are lemons coming out of the factory. And sometimes will get lemons.

_Pete_

I have 422 Gb of personal files on my computer. These include pictures and documents, mostly pictures. Whilst I do not edit or change these files as much as you. if at all, I do look at them almost every day. I suppose there is the possibility of your hard drive wearing out quickly they are, after all, mechanical devices. I suppose the answer there would be to use a SSD rather than a mechanical hard drive. The other possibility is a virus or malware that has affected your files. I don't hold out much hope of this as I don't think the current crop of antivirus programs and anti-malware programs are any good but try running Malwarebytes or some other anti-malware program and also your favourite antivirus. A good defrag is also a good idea although get third party defrag tool rather than the Windows one. Such as Defraggler, not a recommendation just a suggestion

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Last edited:

aniket

I might not be able to help you much, not like the guys here. But do you use a desktop or a laptop to do it. Are you using one hard drive for everything. I can understand the last question if it is a laptop. But a desktop can hold multiple drives. Like in my computer, I have a SSD hard drive for my Windows and other programs and then I have a 1tb for all my data. But if I was doing what you do, I would use at least 2 or more mechanical hard drives (regular hard drives) for Photoshop and leave the primary (SSD) drive alone.

The problem I think is the that you are reading and writing to the drive so much, that you are wearing them out faster.

Another question. Do you defrag the hard drives?

Sorry about not helping you so much, never came across something like that. Hard drive normally runs 3 to 5 yrs under normal use, in less the hard drives are lemons coming out of the factory. And sometimes will get lemons.
yes i use desktop right now , few year back i use internal hard disk to save my all image and same hard disk for OS also.., i thought same that continuous use of that hard disk may cause problem,
so now i use hard disk of my old laptop with casing as external hard disk and store all photos on that hard disk.,
and all time (about 4 times) i face problem of hard disk crash occurs on hard-disk i use most and save images.. this time it happening with my external hard disk. not on which i installed OS.

i do not de-fragment hard drive..only do when i face any problem,

i would be glad ,if you tell me how often i have to de-fragment it. assuming my daily work..

aniket

I have 422 Gb of personal files on my computer. These include pictures and documents, mostly pictures. Whilst I do not edit or change these files as much as you. if at all, I do look at them almost every day. I suppose there is the possibility of your hard drive wearing out quickly they are, after all, mechanical devices. I suppose the answer there would be to use a SSD rather than a mechanical hard drive. The other possibility is a virus or malware that has affected your files. I don't hold out much hope of this as I don't think the current crop of antivirus programs and anti-malware programs are any good but try running Malwarebytes or some other anti-malware program and also your favourite antivirus. A good defrag is also a good idea although get third party defrag tool rather than the Windows one. Such as Defraggler, not a recommendation just a suggestion

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
i have antivirus installed on my system. i scan my all images almost every Sunday.. coz that is my work ..i have to keep it safe..
i didnt de;fragment drive before..will try your suggestion ..
i
if it is because of hard drive wearing out,... i'll try SSD external hard disk, and back up data online to keep it safe..
thanks for help..

AlienMenace

I do mine once a Month, and that is what the web site that makes Defraggler also says to. https://www.piriform.com/support/defraggler#204043964.
You see, Windows don't put things in order. It will drop things into any open spot on the drive. By defragging the drive it will put things in order. That way the read/write arm won't have to go so far out on the platters, it keeps it in close to the hub, less movement for the read/write arm.
https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download.
And you can schedule it to do it at a certain time.

But, be Warned! If you have a SSD Drive. Never-ever defrag a SSD. Shorten their life's span.

JaredDM

When hard drives are constantly failing, two things I'd generally look to.

#1. Power issues such as cheap computer power supplies, or ungrounded outlets/dirty line side power. Running your computer off a UPS alone will cut drive failures down to about 1/3 of the normal rate.

#2. Cheap hard drives. If you're buying garbage like Seagate, you can expect high failure rates. One model of Seagate drive recently saw near 40% failure rate in the first couple years. It was so bad that Apple had to recall them in the iMacs, and Seagate is in a class action lawsuit. Get yourself some good HGST or Toshiba drives, and see how those fare.

JaredDM

Hey, I like Seagate drives. Mine has lasted over 4yrs now.

That's good, but you're one of the lucky ones. Working in data recovery full time, I can definitely attest that Seagate drives fail at a higher frequency than other drives. WD isn't too far behind them regarding the number we see, but certainly less than we see for Seagate failures. Toshiba and HGST failures are usually few and far between, and almost never related to manufacturing failure but more physical trauma which will damage any HDD.