Does Win10 have an Audio Manager such as Realtek?

johnnyb58

My HP Win10 computer has made my sound outputs a nightmare to change sound output devices.

I’m not sure if it was this computer or another one, but I had Realtek HD Audio Manager that would popup with all the jacks displayed every time I plugged something in and all I had to do was select what I had plugged in from the picture.

Now if I plug in a head set, I have to search through a number of ambiguous menus just to get lucky and pick the correct one for sound. It is so time consuming that I just hate it.

Is there a better way or automated way of changing from speaker to head set or digital output in Windows 10?

Also I just discovered while looking to turn on my headphones that this computer has blue tooth built in so I just ordered a set of blue tooth earbuds and I don't know if this is going to complicate matters even more.

johnnyb58

What sound card does it have?

I’m not sure. I have never really looked into this computer except to blow out dust, but I believe it is built in to the mother board on a HP h8-1234 64 bit computer.

I just can’t remember if I had the Realtek Audio Manger on this or not. I know I had it on 2 of my other computers.

OK I just looked on line at the HP support site and it is an Integrated IDT 92HD89E Audio

Darren

Staff member
Since the Anniversary Update you can change audio outputs from the volume control in the bottom right of your taskbar.

johnnyb58

Since the Anniversary Update you can change audio outputs from the volume control in the bottom right of your taskbar.

Ok well I never saw that before but it only comes up when I unplug the desktop speakers without the front headphones plugged in. I cannot the change the audio outputs from the volume control when either the desktop speakers or the head phones are working.

I can only bring up that window with the desktop speakers unplugged when I plug in the headphones and then I can select the headphones, but then I cannot get the speakers to work at all when I disconnect the head phones and plugin the speakers.

If I open that window without anything plugged in then it opens with only the generic selection which works for the speakers but not the head phones.

I’m really confused right now I can’t seem to get out of generic audio and will have to go back to the old way of searching for the other selection menu buried somewhere deep in the settings menu.

Darren

Staff member
There should be an arrow above the volume slider, clicking that should let you select an audio out.

johnnyb58

There should be an arrow above the volume slider, clicking that should let you select an audio out.
No I don't have arrow or anything else to click on except for the Volume slider.

Anyway now everything seems to be working for some reason. When I plugin the headphones, the speakers automatically shutoff and come back on when I unplug the headphone.

I just don't know whats going on with this computer. Everyday something new happens. Yesterday my WiFi network printer wasn't showing on this computer, but was on all the other computers. Then after going through all the printer settings and not really changing anything, it started working again. I also am having trouble with the sleep mode where sometimes I can get right back in and other times I have to unplug the computer for a minute to get back in.

I'm slowly getting to hate computers and I may have to get a MAC even though I have a personal problem with Apple.

Darren

Staff member
You done a clean install of 10? Helps a lot with weirdness if you did an upgrade.

johnnyb58

You done a clean install of 10? Helps a lot with weirdness if you did an upgrade.

No, I haven’t. That has been suggested before, but I have a lifetime of photos, videos, CAD programs, and other expensive software that has only one install. Some are older programs do not recognize Win 10 and will not install, but are working with the upgraded Win10. I just don't have the time to deal with all this although it seems like I have to fiddle with this almost everyday and always when I'm in a hurry.

I used to just buy a new second hard drive and slowly move files over after I’ve installed a new OS, but I would lose some programs in the process because they were only a one install and I did not want to repurchase them. I did have to repurchase a video editing program at an increased price due to an upgrade only to find out that they changed their policy and want me to purchase each additional function for $50 each so now the program was just a total waste of money because it would have ended up costing me about $3k in the end for everything I originally already had.

I have the same dilemma with another Vista computer that I want to install Win 7 on. I can buy Win7 for $100, but it has to be a clean install so now I’m the market to buy another hard drive hoping that I don’t lose anything.