domain name / hosting

HixBlix

Hey guys

i will be buying a domain name for a few sites i have designed for a friends businesses but i am looking for a reputable uk site to purchase my domain names from adn evenually some hosting space
as i am not total up to speed on how this all works ( punk's post answered a lot of the infop i needed)

1. Can i buy a chunk of space and use that for multiple site or do i buy a bit for one then some more for a different site?

2. For hosting a friend was saying it it cheaper to buy hosting space from the US as it is cheaper but connection speed is slower due to the distance, is that true?

thanks in advance

jashsayani

Hi HixBlix,

Firstly, for Domains, I suggest GoDaddy.com
Its the best for cheap domains and quality service. You can also use the following coupons during checkout for discounts: GB1 GB2 GB3
Try out all three coupons and see which one saves you the most.

1. You can use the same space for multiple domains provided the hosting company allows you. Usually they have a limit of 2 to 3 domains per space.

2. Location of hosting companies don't matter much as the speed variation will not be much. For cheap hosting, go to DreamHost.com and for expensive hosing I suggest Mosso or Rackspace

Hope that helps. :)

EGS

banned
:confused:

any reason why? i've been using them for years and they have never given me any issues at all
There's many reasons from a domainer's perspective but in simplicity their interface has been proven to be insecure a numerous amount of times over the past through years (people getting in to steal domains via brute force), fraud is high with their push system (if domains are pushed to someone who sells it and the payment is fake GoDaddy will not retrieve the domain back even when it's in their own system!), and domains are deleted or given away without your consent if another company or organization has an issue with your name. Those are just a few I'd like to point out.

You can read more horror stories mostly @ DN Forum and NamePros. My username at both forums is the same as it is here, however, I don't have any domains with GoDaddy. I've read my lesson. :p

/\E

Hi HixBlix,

Firstly, for Domains, I suggest GoDaddy.com
Its the best for cheap domains and quality service. You can also use the following coupons during checkout for discounts: GB1 GB2 GB3
Try out all three coupons and see which one saves you the most.

1. You can use the same space for multiple domains provided the hosting company allows you. Usually they have a limit of 2 to 3 domains per space.

2. Location of hosting companies don't matter much as the speed variation will not be much. For cheap hosting, go to DreamHost.com and for expensive hosing I suggest Mosso or Rackspace

Hope that helps. :)

I will agree that GoDaddy is the best for cheap domains but not for service. They are VERY restrictive...

In a web host, you want to look for the following:

cPanel/WHM-the interface that the client(you) will use to configure the service.
unlimited FTP accounts
unlimited MySQL databases
unlimited subdomains
unlimited email addresses
mailing lists
email autoresponders
PHP/Perl/CGI
Fantastico Installer
a good number of domains you can host(5-10 is a good number)

You can find stuff like that for around $10/month.

Personally, I prefer HostDime and that's where those features came from :p I have a reseller account on there so I can host sites that I create for people.

tlarkin

VIP Member
There's many reasons from a domainer's perspective but in simplicity their interface has been proven to be insecure a numerous amount of times over the past through years (people getting in to steal domains via brute force), fraud is high with their push system (if domains are pushed to someone who sells it and the payment is fake GoDaddy will not retrieve the domain back even when it's in their own system!), and domains are deleted or given away without your consent if another company or organization has an issue with your name. Those are just a few I'd like to point out.

You can read more horror stories mostly @ DN Forum and NamePros. My username at both forums is the same as it is here, however, I don't have any domains with GoDaddy. I've read my lesson. :p

Uh, what? DNS is DNS and it is a standard....If you have weak passwords you can be brute forced or dictionary attacked.

I used godaddy, and I use www.phpwebhosting.com for my hosting. I use drupal to build sites. Everything will be run by a CMS one of these days.

DirtyD86

banned
Uh, what? DNS is DNS and it is a standard....If you have weak passwords you can be brute forced or dictionary attacked.

I used godaddy, and I use www.phpwebhosting.com for my hosting. I use drupal to build sites. Everything will be run by a CMS one of these days.

you shouldn't put it off - they have made installing a CMS so simple it's now a 15 minute project, if that. let me know if you decide to use wordpress, i can walk you through the process if you would like

tlarkin

VIP Member
you shouldn't put it off - they have made installing a CMS so simple it's now a 15 minute project, if that. let me know if you decide to use wordpress, i can walk you through the process if you would like

I use drupal and I like it. My web developer buddy swears by drupal and it is so awesome because it works great for the novice web developer like myself, and the advanced web developer like my friend.

He pretty much builds all his sites on drupal. I have built two sites on it so far and like it so far. I still need to learn CSS to make my site pretty.

Bluehost.com = Shared servers, but you would not notice a difference to dedicated most likely, $7 a month for unlimited storage space and unlimited bandwidth. Domain is included free, and you can get more domains for $10 a year added on.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Bluehost.com = Shared servers, but you would not notice a difference to dedicated most likely, $7 a month for unlimited storage space and unlimited bandwidth. Domain is included free, and you can get more domains for $10 a year added on.

The link i posted is 9.95 per a month or cheaper (like 7 per a month) if you pay for the whole year up front. Unlimited HD space, unmonitored bandwidth, 128 megs of PHP memory, they support everything (mysql, php, phython, ruby, perl, pick your poision), unlimited email, unlimited databases. Basically you get whatever you want as long as you aren't running torrent trackers, or P2P stuff.

Godaddy.com allows you to host anywhere and they will park the domain for you, be weary of combo deals that may force you into the service and they won't allow you to host your domain else where.