Donating money for freeware

Do you Donate money for using a freeware App?

• Yay

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

tlarkin

VIP Member
If its an application that saves me tons of time/money by using it I will use the paypal option and donate some money to the developer.

tlarkin

VIP Member
well i am an independent/sub contractor on the side. Any software I buy or donate money to is a tax write off for me, so everyone wins in those situations. There are a few open source applications I give to my clients to use to, and if its a business, I tell them to donate a few bucks as well. That keeps the developer motivated enough to keep their open source product up to date.

JamesBart

well i am an independent/sub contractor on the side. Any software I buy or donate money to is a tax write off for me, so everyone wins in those situations. There are a few open source applications I give to my clients to use to, and if its a business, I tell them to donate a few bucks as well. That keeps the developer motivated enough to keep their open source product up to date.

i see. never though of it like that! yeah cash is definatley a motivator! :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
There are several awesome open source apps I give out free to my mac clients, and I tell them if they use it, they should just toss a few bucks to the developer. I mean its just a few bucks, and its cheaper than going out and buying a full blown application.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean its just a few bucks, and its cheaper than going out and buying a full blow application.

True :)
I dont realy use that much freeware though...the only thing on my system which is freeware at the moment would be Google earth,Firefox and Warrock which is a free game.

the rest ive paid for like Avast pro.

tlarkin

VIP Member
True :)
I dont realy use that much freeware though...the only thing on my system which is freeware at the moment would be Google earth,Firefox and Warrock which is a free game.

the rest ive paid for like Avast pro.

when you start using open source software over and over again in an environment its nice to toss them a few dollars. I am not saying give them all your clams, I am saying just toss them a few bucks. Paypal makes it worth even getting a dollar donated, because they will only take like 10 cents out of that dollar.

kof2000

i donate to hdtv website :) they provide alot of HD contents so i donate so that they wont close down :D and i also subscribe to megaupload premium service :) awesome combination. Get my HDTV fits much faster than bt. Freeware i might if it is REALLY useful. i did buy commercial software though mainly those for usenet because i know i will be using it daily.

jimmymac

VIP Member
i have done on a couple of occasions, if its something i use regularly and been helpful then i feel it deserves something for it

heyman421

banned
the only free program or website i've ever 'donated' money to was a torrent tracker back before there were such things as free torrent sites.

And of course 'paying' for torrents is illegal, so they just had their ways of making sure you 'donated' money for access to the site.

and i realize putting apostrophes around donated twice is redundant, but it's honestly easier for me to keep typing than stop and fix it, ohhhh well

tlarkin

VIP Member
yeah im 21 and feel like that to :)

i buy a lot of adobe applications so whe i spent 1000's on them i dont want to spend money on freeware :)

sure, but if you were to use an open source app like the Gimp instead of photo shop and be able to load it on all your computers for free, wouldn't it be nice to toss the development team a few bucks, I mean not even 100, just a few

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Only if it's REALLY worth it, some applications you download use, and they are semi-mediocre and only jsut do the job intended with a crappy UI, they dont deserve anythign, but fully-fledged aplications that rally shine and are quite brilliant, sure i'll donate to them

I've dnated to the Ubuntu project and as well to the OpenOffice.org project:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html

not a serious amount of money, but at least something to help and show my appreciation, if people didnt donate, they wouldnt exist, so....

dragon

tlarkin

VIP Member
exactly my point. I use an app called share points in OS X, which is free and open source. Whenever I install it on one of my client's machines I tell them to go to their website and give them a few bucks, kind of like tipping your waiter or bartender.

if everyone globally does that, the developer then keeps their product up to date and makes at least extra beer money and pays for hosting services of their site.

DrCuddles

I do donate, i admit i am a downloader of software to the very limit, but i only download software from compnaies i can donate to, like music, if i find a band with a donate button on their page, then ill donate and download their music, because ill never touch the CD again.