Dont want to go wireless :S

HELP_ME

Hey i just bought a new desktop computer that i plan on putting on my top floor, but my router is a floor below. i really dont want to go wireless, first of all its more expensive and secondly i cant have an iffy connection which im afaid i will get from wireless. now my question is what should i do? is my only option to buy a massive cable and run it through a hole in a wall or ssomething. cause thats not gonna be easy for me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
if you don't want to go wirelss then your only other option is to run an ethernet cable.

tremmor

besides being faster. wireless is not that bad. just secure it properly. it might be your best shot and easiest. others keep up better than me that will tell ya which one to get for fastest wireless. then again ya still will have the option for direct connection. cat5 or 6 may not be cheap either.

Krysis

If your routers are 2x the speed of your cable then you can create a bridge between the two without losing performance.

D@RKSID3

besides being faster. wireless is not that bad.

Since when has wireless been faster? It's probably cheaper to just buy one 10/100/1000 cable. Dpeneds how far you have to run it though. If you have to run it so far that you lose some signal, you may be better of with wireless.

Pleeeease!

If you're gonna to full on landline then you'll probably need cat5 wire for that amount of length. Which is gonna be at least $10 a foot. Still think wireless is more expensive?

Get a gooood wireless router which has wpa2 ability. All in all it'll probably be under $100 bucks if you bargain shop. It's not as unsecure as most rave it is. But for sure don't use a wep security, NOW THAT'S A JOKE!

D@RKSID3

Yeah, please is right, unless you know how to make the Cat5 yourself......but wireless will probably be cheaper all in all.

Quiltface

If you're gonna to full on landline then you'll probably need cat5 wire for that amount of length. Which is gonna be at least $10 a foot. Still think wireless is more expensive?

Who do you buy your cable from? $100 a FOOT!?

What kind of Inet connection do you have HELP ME? If you have DSL i would just move your router and modem up by you and make the other computer wireless...screw em

Since when has wireless been faster?

It's not... lol unless you compare N speeds to 100Mbps...