Download Limit

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hi,

Is there a way to check what (or if) your download limit is?
See, my Dad says we have one, and I don't know if he's just saying it...

Is there anyway I can check? I don't know what package we have so I can't look it up there :)

Thanks for any help

Trizoy

VIP Member
Call and see if the company does it in any general way. If they do, ask what the default is.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I can't download till it stops because there's three other people on the internet, all using the same connection and it wouldn't go down too well if I used it all up, especially with my Dad.

I don't know what package I'm on, so I can't call up and check...

heyman421

banned
i haven't heard of an ISP using a quota since AOL back in the early 90's

and i wouldn't count on the ISP giving much info to anyone but your pops

ISP's are pretty careful about giving ANYONE info. you'd think they were a bank

spanky

I have no idea about in the UK but Comcast here the total bandwith limit is 6 GB or 8 GB depending on what package you buy. It's like X amount of dollars per gig you go over. It was the same deal with a local high speed internet compnay I used to use. With DSL there is no bandwith limit. I know this personally because I've gone well over 6 GB's a month.

Kornowski

VIP Member
So there isn't really any way I can find out then? That sucks! :(

See, I don't want to go over it and have my Dad on my case whenever I go on the computer.

heyman421

banned
i've never heard of such things

i've downloaded more than 700GB in a single month before, i don't know how i could limit myself

Kornowski

VIP Member
Call your internet provider.

And ask what? I don't know what package I have, and I'm not going to give them any information incase some-how they contact my Dad, and he figures that I've been lurking around trying to find out... I guess I'll just have to leave it...

XanderCage

ok... well here's the thing many isp's have online bandwidth monitors, but you need your account info with the isp. Usually just as simple as an account name and a password. You can also compare your speed. Go to a speed tester on the internet and then crossmatch their packages to yours and pick the closest one and it's a safe bet that that's your package. Also Round down not up. Isp ususally say 5Mbit line when you actually run on a 4.5 Mbit. LOL

PohTayToez

i haven't heard of an ISP using a quota since AOL back in the early 90's

and i wouldn't count on the ISP giving much info to anyone but your pops

ISP's are pretty careful about giving ANYONE info. you'd think they were a bank

I have a friend that has satellite internet, and he has something like a 200MB/day limit or something pretty low like that I think.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, tested my internet speed, and it's 2MB, so I looked it up and I get 2GB a month, and that's between 4 people, it sucks!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, tested my internet speed, and it's 2MB, so I looked it up and I get 2GB a month, and that's between 4 people, it sucks!

according to Virgin media who i have my broadband with (2Mb) i have Unlimited download limit:D

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

i have size M on that site for £18 a month.

its nice tat i dont have a limit because i downloaded about 1.8Gb just today lol.

danny i think you are getting ripped off mate :cool:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I think we are getting ripped off too, it's my Dad though, he won't change, there's too much hasle...

Apparently we have fiber optics down our road, I want to use them, but we'd have to buy a new router and recievers too :(

XanderCage

buy???? F that m8, talk to you're dad i bet if you call that company and tell them that you want to open an account theyll rent you their router and receivers.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I think we are getting ripped off too, it's my Dad though, he won't change, there's too much hasle...

Apparently we have fiber optics down our road, I want to use them, but we'd have to buy a new router and recievers too :(

Ooh,Keep on at him till he gets annoyed and changes lol...thats what i do:D

im glad i looked on Virgn media site now because i didnt know i had unlimited.