Downloads "complete" when actually incomplete

cryption

I have been having a problem for a good long while, and it's finally to the point to driving me crazy. I can't determine if it's my router, or my crappy ISP. When I'm downloading files in IE, Firefox, or Safari on any of the 5 computers on my network, on some occasions the download will seem to freeze and then become "complete" when in reality the entire file hasn't even been downloaded. For example, I'm trying to download the Ubuntu ISO off their webpage, and it has done it for the 4th time, this time at 94%. Would a download manager help? I've tried on both OSX 10.4, 10.5, Windows XP pro, and Vista Home premium and am having the same problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as download manager recommendations. Cheers.

Last edited:

chibicitiberiu

This happens when the connection is interrupted. It happened to me when downloading with firefox from rapidshare a video, was stopping at about 30 kb out of 10 mb how much the video had. Simply the speed became 0 kb/s, after few seconds it stopped. Websites like rapidshare (the free-side, not the paid one) don't allow you to continue a download if it stopped, so it will say that it finished when it didn't.
When downloading linux distributions, try the torrents (perfectly legal, don't worry).

cryption

I have a rapidshare premium account, and it happens and I can't resume it. So frustrating! Were you able to get past it happening to you? It happens so frequently do you think it could be my router? It's pretty old ....