DRAM led, computer won't boot

BLazerules

Hello,

So yesterday I tried upgrading my PC with a new water cooler and GPU. However whenever I boot it the DRAM LED lights up. I'm really not sure what the issue is since I didn't even touch my RAM sticks. Fact is the monitor won't even light up.

I tried placing them in different slots, using only one, resetting CMOS, resetting BIOS, replugging everything, using MEMOK but that just stops working after the second pass. Even tried other working ram sticks but it still gave me the same issue. Even removed the GPU and the issue was still the same.

I honestly have no idea what the issue can be. Is it a power consumption problem? I don't really know. In theory it should run just fine with the parts I have installed. Especially when I removed my GPU

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What video card do you have and did you connect any pci express power cables if they are so required? Have you tried original video card?

BLazerules

Thank you for the reply. Yeah they're required and connected. GPU is a MSI Nvidia 1070.

Tried my old amd but that didn't work. Thing is it looks like my PC never even gets to checking the GPU. It checks to make sure the CPU works, then the ram and gets stuck there. So even if I am using no GPU it still complains about the ram. Never seems to get past that part.

I even updated the bios via USB but that didn't seem to do anything.

Thinking of taking it to a repair shop on monday if I don't figure out why it stopped working.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could you have zapped the ram somehow? If you walked across carpet and then touched them you could have zapped them.

BLazerules

Thing is I don't even have carpets in my house, floor is wooden. Not to mention I tried using 3 other ram sticks that my friend gave me in order to test things out. Sadly it had the same dram led issue as before.

beers

Staff member
What cooler did you put in? How much mounting pressure?

Do you see it work again with the previous cooler?

BLazerules

Corsair H75 is the cooler. My friend took care of that as he brought the parts. He screwed it in as much as he could. Apparently you need to do that for water coolers.