Dream Machine: suggestions?

chupacabra

Looks good, but you hardly will need over 4gb ram, another thing is to remove that PhsyX card since it's money wasted and it doesn't do a shit on most games, and get a better cpu cooler from zalman or scythe.

PD: can i have one? :p

chupacabra

I forgot to mention that in july 22 prices are dropping for dual/quad cores from intel, the QX6700 will drop to about 530$

Xiypher

Yeah, i know, i was gonna wait till after that to buy this system, i'll either get the same system for cheaper, or a better system for the same amount.

Xiypher

Ohh, Whats the deal with dual video cards, If I get dual 8800gtx's will they worth together on 1 output? and then is it worth it to get 2?

Burgerbob

Ohh, Whats the deal with dual video cards, If I get dual 8800gtx's will they worth together on 1 output? and then is it worth it to get 2?

It is called SLi, they use one output to a monitor, and you can get crazy framerates with SLIed 8800s.

Froboy7391_99

Get the P35 DQ6 and Coolermaster Realpower 1250 watt Power Supply. It has 6 12v rails. They had it powering two computers. One qaudcore with SLI 8800GTXs and one dual core with SLI GTXs again.

Last edited:

Tuffie

Get the Asus Striker Extreme instead of the 680i (The Asus Striker Extreme is the 680i just a whole load better)

Is eight GB's ramm really neccassary? I think the four GB's that I am putting into my system is overkill.

If I were you I would go for the two 8800GTX's, but I guess that's just me.. :D

Also instead of the Patriot eXtreme RAM I would go with some really nice OCZ http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ddr2/ oh and if your going to go with a SLi set up get this: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_sli_ready_edition

Kent.

madtownidiot

I just sold a system that had two hitachi 7K1000 HDDs in them. I swear they are faster than the WD Raptor drives.
Trust me... go with that instead if you can afford it.

Xiypher

The power supply i choose i'm not attached to at all, thanks for the advice i'll look into it.

I'll look into that RAM, if i only go 4gig (which i probably will) the SLI-ready ram looks promiseable.

I was going to get the Asus Striker Extreme, but newegg reviews had a lot of people dissa pointed and a couple of my friend have had much better luck with gigabyte over asus. Are they both "sli-ready" to get the most efficiency out of dual 8800s?

Oh, and the vid card listed is a 8800Ultra, I assume it's the same thing as the 8800gtx only 768MB, or am I wrong?

I'll check out those HHD's later, i saw them but i wasnt sure if the price diffrence was worth it, i chose the WD10k's because they were pretty cheap and i've had good luck with WD in the past.

I haven't upgraded my computer in quite a while, I've been to busy programming C++ and VHDL in order to make it though my degree that i haven't had much time for gaming and keeping up on the technology.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll look into it all later tonight.

(The current setup, from the first post.. only with dual 8800's and the better heat sync is running over 5,700$ Good thing some prices will drop soon, i should be able to knock 1500$ off it by getting less ram, no physx processor and some of the price drops that are scheduled.)

Brewboy

if you want your operating system to run extremely fast!, you could try the "gigabyte iram". It's a solid state hard drive which is supported by 4 gigs of affordable 184-pin desktop memory. A small battery holds the data in there when you turn the computer off (enough batter life for years). The transfer rates are way beyond anything you'll achieve with a small raid. It's only 4 gigs though, but perfect for the OS. It plugs into a PCI slot for power and then a sata connector runs into a normal sata harddrive port.

LE0O37

Any "DREAM MACHINE" Should have a huge LCD screen.

With all that money you are wasting you should be able to get a 22" LCD or bigger, and surround sound.
You'll notice that difference......
peace

holdenssx

A small battery holds the data in there when you turn the computer off (enough batter life for years).

Not to get off of topic, but where are you getting your information, thats completely misleading and wrong. The battery life is rated at a mere 16 HOURS per charge. And it only uses the battery when the switch on the power supply is off, if it is removed from the PCI slot, or if there is a power outage.

Tuffie

IRAM is really not that great, it will only boot a system 3 seconds faster then a raptor.

LE0O37 is totaly right surround sound and a huge monitor will make all the difference.

Also when you said two 8800 GTX's are the same as one 8800 Ultra eccept with 768Mb memory sorry to say thats a no.

A 8800GTX has 768Mb memory, and a 8800 Ultra also has 768Mb memory but the ultra has slightly higer clock speed, and ect.

Kent

ceewi1

VIP Member
Coolermaster Realpower 1250 watt Power Supply. It has 6 12v rails.
I'm not aware of any 1250W Coolermaster PSU. Only units up to 1000W are listed on their website.

The power supply i choose i'm not attached to at all, thanks for the advice i'll look into it.
Both Thermaltake and Coolermaster sell great top-end units. To the best of my knowledge, Coolermaster don't make units above 1000W. The Thermaltake is a touch better, but you really don't need 1200W, even with Dual 8800 Ultras, but then again the price difference between the 1000W and the 1200W isn't that big.