dream pc!

pc club guy

you guys are right, they just came out with a intel extrem edition cpu....man o man, its like buying a car..Well if its just like buying a car then i should focus on things like support, company history, and where the companys are heading, maybe what they have to offer other than just the product.

The-Llamalizer

pc club guy, might I suggest you go with AMD 64 CPU? 64 bit capability/capatability will be nice for later applications that utilize or require 64 bit. And I just think that the 64 is plain better than Intel.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be looking at the ATI X850XT video card
Waste of money, you're better off saving your arm (or your leg whichever you prefer) with the X800XT :p

pc club guy my only advice is not to spend 3k or more on a computer. The technology changes so rapidly its simply not worth it.
I dunno man, you can spend a crapload of money on infrastructure which takes a long time to go obsolete (speakers, harddrives, good opticals, memory, harddrives oh and did I mention harddrives). In general though your point is valid :)

how about this?
I notice that the first thing you have on your list is a case .... id suggest a change of philosophy before moving on ... performance first, enclosures and bling second :)

Define
pc club guy said:
have the best[/QUOTE=pc club guy]
LOL hehe I recall a thread like this somewhere where some dude wanted the best ... I spec'd him a system and $15000 later.... (FYI you dont need the =PC Club guy on the closing tag)

I think he means each component being top of the line... which will last about 2 months..
Again my comment about infrastructure....

amd64 fx-57
You do realize that chip doesnt exist right?

1.5 won't make much difference over 1
It'll make a world of difference -- you lose the dual channel. -- and when you're dealing with $2500+ systems that stuff matters

Again, waste of money in buying a pre-OCd card when you can just OC it yourself and save $200.

2GB Dual Channel kingston/corsair
For some reason I dont think paring a FX55 with ValueSelect will do it justice.

LOL there seems to be two lines of thought throughout this thread:
1. Dont spend that much money on a system because it's a waste
2. Buy stupidly overpriced products
I think its important to step back and consider that you can spend that kinda money on a system and even though the core components may go obsolete (vid, cpu moslty), if you're smart, the majority of your money wont be there but in support hardware like drives and cooling and ram .... effective foreplanning and cost effective purchages:)

As for this system, I think its fair to suggest that the Pentium4 has no competition here since [1] we have a substantial budget and [2] the primary focus is gaming.

CPU
Personally Id get the FX53 and save your money by OCing it yourself (cuz really thats all AMD did hehe they preset the multiplier to 13.0, up from 12.0 ... but since its a FX series with total unlockage you can set the multipliers from 4.0-25.0 at will hehe).
FX53 [750USD]
FX55 [850USD]

MOBO
SLI is definitely the flavour of the day; if you want to wait for the DFI board you might consider the DFI nForce4Ultra ... its a quick mod to nForce4SLI and save $60. Of course $60 isnt that much on this scale so you might as well save yourself the 'risk' and get a SLI board to start with. In light of this,
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
MSI K8N Neo4 PlatinumSLI
Both kick in at roughly 175USD

RAM
Now its quite easy to go shit-silly and buy 4GB of the most expensive memory you can find (and you'll quickly discover how little $3000 really is). Realistically if you need more than 2GB then you should be looking at a server box but. I chose 1GB modules because you can guarantee command rate 1T with that (and it allows for a a 4GB upgrade path if you want that later)
2 x http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-045&depa=1 (total 460USD)

VIDEO
Naturally SLI is the order of the day and as tempted as I am to suggest a pair of 6800Ultras that would be plain stupid financial planning (as well as pairing ATI cards with a nVidia SLI board....). A pair of 6800GTs is easily the most effective route.
2 x eVGA 6800GT PCIe (total $955USD)

SOUND
Almost as a standard feature,
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS [80USD]

HDD
The strategy here is to pair up a fast 'primary' drive for boot purposes with almost-as-fast drives used for storage. RAID5 is also an option although not neccesary by any means. In light of that:
1 x WD Raptor 74GB SATA (180USD)
2 x Maxtor 300GB SATA 16MB (400USD)

OPTICALS
LiteOn 52x32x52 (20USD) ... one of the most solid and cost-effective CDRW drives available
Plextor PX716 (110USD) ... paired with one of the most solid DVD burners available

CASE AND STUFF
Thermaltake Venus12 [30USD]
Basic case, Chenming60x-ish [70USD]
OCZ Powerstream 600 [200USD]

Total $3430-$3530 USD
If you ask me this is still over the top, I would have personally gone NF3-250+X800XL (or NF4Ultra+X800XL or NF4SLI+2x6600GT) and dumped cash into the drive array slotting in 4x300GB as a minimum. Also to go would be the sound card.

pc club guy

:( sorry Preator, but i already made my system, but thanks for the hard work providing me with excellent info..................................lol, no im kidding, i already printed this page out, it will be very usefull for the guys down at Frys, and at Comp(i dont like buying online, even if its cheaper, i wana get my stuff now!!!:)...so thanks again Preator, i will remeber this big help you gave me.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
I dunno man, you can spend a crapload of money on infrastructure which takes a long time to go obsolete (speakers, harddrives, good opticals, memory, harddrives oh and did I mention harddrives). In general though your point is valid :)

Well, I spent a ton of money on my sound system (already had this conversation...) and that was almost 2 years ago... so I understand what you are talking about.

Its the other things I was referring too (should have been more specific)... video card... CPU... MOBO... MAYBE even the sound card... all of these at some point in the near future will be surpassed by faster and higher quality hardware....

I remember when Gateway had the idea of allowing customers to trade-in their comps (or something like that...) after 3 years.... well, 3 years is a long time these days.. but the idea is a valid one because many of the components will be outdated pretty quickly... thats just the nature of this industry. (well it didnt help Gateway too much.. but thats another topic)anyway..

I do agree that much of what you call infrastructure will not quickly become obsolete .. but 3k on a desktop computer... yikes.... I didnt even spend that on my server.. :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I do agree that much of what you call infrastructure will not quickly become obsolete .. but 3k on a desktop computer... yikes.... I didnt even spend that on my server..
1. I appreciate that at least one other person knows-of and appreciates what im talking about hehe (too much emphasis on bling nowadays)
2. The parts in my setup will sum out to well past 3K ... course I didnt pay anywhere near that....

Yeah, but you can't get money (legit) without common sense....
Sure you can. It's called mutuals. :) (anyways, we digress)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
My original post was that money and common sense rarely go together. I think I need to clarify what I meant.

Having more money at your disposal and common sense rarely go together. This is why America gives tax cuts... the more money YOU have in your pocket, the more you spend. Why not save that money? ...nope, at least in America, we tend so spend it.... That is why I believe spending 3k on a computer = a momentary laps in common sense :D

pc club guy

SFR said:
My original post was that money and common sense rarely go together. I think I need to clarify what I meant.

Having more money at your disposal and common sense rarely go together. This is why America gives tax cuts... the more money YOU have in your pocket, the more you spend. Why not save that money? ...nope, at least in America, we tend so spend it.... That is why I believe spending 3k on a computer = a momentary laps in common sense :D

Your right SFR, What ever age we have, or how ever much money we earn, we will always have the kid in us, we will always have the urge to spend senselessly.

Stephen073190

Video Card - RADEON X850 XT 256MB PCI Express - about $500
Processor/Motherboard -Athlon 64 FX 53 939 with cpu,fan/Asus A8V-E-Delux -about $950
Hard Drive - Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM - about $102
RAM - I'm not sure exactly what speed to get, but get at least a gig - estimated $200
DVD Drive - Sony DRX-510UL External USB 2.0 DVD±RW 4X/4X DVD+R/DVD+RW 4X/2X DVD-R/DVD-RW 24X/16X/32X CD-RW - about $110
CD Burner - TDK AI5200 52X24X48X48 veloCD Internal CDReWriter Retail Box with BurnProof - about $72 (not sure if its a seperate burner)
Sound Card - Creative labs audigy 4 pro sound card - about $230
Monitor - ViewSonic 19 in. LCD (haven't read any reviews the view sonic) or
213T-Black SAMSUNG 213T-Black 21in LCD Monitor –RETAIL 21inch 1600x1200 or
SAMSUNG 910T-Black 19" LCD Monitor - viewsonic about $665 - Samsung 19" - about $470 - Samsung 21" about $840
Sound System - Z-680 Logitech - about $250 new
Mouse and Keyboard - Logitech bluetooth combo LOGITECH wireless ( cordless) Bluetooth DINOVO MEDIA DESKTOP Combo Logitech - about $85 if you don’t buy from logitech and buy from microsoft and get a few fans at least have some intake along with outtake cause that is gonna heat up. You should have network stuff.... if you really want to spend that much money, I recommend buying that stuff (I don’t know much about the monitors or the sound card) but I wouldn't really recommend spending that much money on a computer. The case is your choice, but get one that will fit your mother board and one with a power supply like an: Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model "TRUE CONTROL 550W" - about $140
TOTAL PRICE ESTIMATION - $3340 (more if you went with the most expensive monitor but yeah, I strongly say against that much money, theirs my opinion. (that’s without the case but a case without a power supply should be cheap).

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Video Card - RADEON X850 XT 256MB PCI Express - about $50
Why would you buy that card? Especially when you can buy an X800XT OC it yourself and spend money on useful stuff? And if you're going for ultimate possible performance, why not 6800U SLI?

Processor/Motherboard -Athlon 64 FX 53 939 with cpu,fan/Asus A8V-E-Delux -about $950
Why would you buy the Via chipset? Especially when the nForce3 and nForce4 are superior platforms?

Hard Drive - Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM - about $102
A bit piddly for the system all things considering.

DVD Drive - Sony DRX-510UL External USB 2.0 DVD±RW 4X/4X DVD+R/DVD+RW 4X/2X DVD-R/DVD-RW 24X/16X/32X CD-RW - about $110
Why not get the 710 which is a 'critically acclaimed' drive? Or the Pioneer109? Or the NEC3520 or Plextor 716 which use the NEC3604 chipset??

CD Burner - TDK AI5200 52X24X48X48
That's actually a 1-sheep CD burner :( too bad, i liked TDK before i found that out

Monitor - ViewSonic 19 in. LCD (haven't read any reviews the view sonic) or
213T-Black SAMSUNG 213T-Black 21in LCD Monitor –RETAIL 21inch 1600x1200 or
SAMSUNG 910T-Black 19" LCD Monitor - viewsonic about $665 - Samsung 19" - about $470 - Samsung 21" about $840
A 25ms response??!!!! An LCD with brightness 250??

Sound System - Z-680 Logitech - about $250 new
Why not the 5500s? :)

if you don’t buy from logitech and buy from microsoft and get a few fans at least have some intake along with outtake cause that is gonna heat up.
Are you suggesting the microsoft mice heat up exxcessively?

fultz

Praeter, buying any cards in SLI right now is not a very good idea ESPECIALLY buying two 6800 Ultras - A combined value of over $1000, because the only SLI capable boards right now are 8x SLI's which mean they can only utilize 16 Pipelines all together at a given time. In the future, there will most likely be 16x16 pipeline SLI boards that can use the 2x Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra's Pipelines together for 32 Pipelines, until then the performance increase you are going to get for the extra $500 is a waste of money, and when they do release the new 16x SLI boards you will have to buy a new motherboard!

This is all without the mention of the fact that in order for a game to support the dual video cards and utilize them in any way nvidia has to release drivers for the games to support SLI. Only a few games as of right now support SLI and the ones that do show little to no performance increase and actually, some games show performance decreases due to the SLI. In the future SLI will be a great thing, companies will be writing drivers for it, new games will be released with SLI drivers already in them im sure and there will most likely be 16x16 SLI boards. Until then SLI is a waste of money.

Buying a 10,000RPM Raptor 74GB Drive and 2 300GB Maxtor's are also a major waste of money, go with 2x 250GB 7200RPM's in raid on an nforce4 instead. 500GB @ 14,400RPM in raid $280 for both from newegg thanks, anybody who needs 1.2TB of space is either running a web server, not a computer, or has a rather-too-large collection of warez.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Praeter, buying any cards in SLI right now is not a very good idea ESPECIALLY buying two 6800 Ultras - A combined value of over $1000, because the only SLI capable boards right now are 8x SLI's which mean they can only utilize 16 Pipelines all together at a given time.
1. I think you confuse PCIe pipelines and GPU pipelines. They are independent
2. 8X SLI is plenty. Theres not been a single case where 2x6800Us didnt outpower 1x6800U

In the future, there will most likely be 16x16 pipeline SLI boards that can use the 2x Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra's Pipelines together for 32 Pipelines, until then the performance increase you are going to get for the extra $500 is a waste of money, and when they do release the new 16x SLI boards you will have to buy a new motherboard
1. If I recall correctly, I reccomend the 6800GTs not the Ultras. Ill not bother reading back up tho
2. Again you confuse the PCIe pipelines and the GPU pipelines

This is all without the mention of the fact that in order for a game to support the dual video cards and utilize them in any way nvidia has to release drivers for the games to support SLI
1. nVidia has support
2. The games dont need to support the devices (thats the whole point of OpenGL and DirectX -- so games dont have to do all that HAL stuff themselves)

Only a few games as of right now support SLI and the ones that do show little to no performance increase and actually
Not true, see my point above about the SLI. When SLI drivers did matter -- that was roughly 15 years ago with the Voodoo2 SLI

some games show performance decreases due to the SLI
True -- only when you run at low resolution ... thats when the "administrative" processing of the bridging takes a toll ... but nobody builds an SLI setup to play at low-resolution.

Buying a 10,000RPM Raptor 74GB Drive and 2 300GB Maxtor's are also a major waste of money, go with 2x 250GB 7200RPM's in raid on an nforce4 instead
The whole point of the comment was to emphasis infrastructure. Video cards and stuff go obsolete real fast. HDDs dont go by so quickly.

anybody who needs 1.2TB of space is either running a web server, not a computer, or has a rather-too-large collection of warez.
Dont be so close minded :p . Ive goe 480GB local and 640GB available across the network.
- My work requires me to process 300hours of DVD footage per week (thats 8Mbit/s btw)
- One of my hobbies is animation and you'll quickly encounter massive files that way
- My side job requires that I deal with roughly 20GB of digital images per week
- Another of my side-jobs is to archive old tapes (VHS/Audio) for people and retouch them ...
- I keep everything (every driver rev, virus update, patch, utility -- just something that comes with the job as a techie)

500GB @ 14,400RPM in raid
I hope that you dont think that RAIDing two 7200rpm drives will give you a 14,400rpm virtual drive.... anyone who knows anything about RAID will tell you that
1. RAIDing as such is useless for most people (who thinks they'll have faster game load times etc)
2. RAIDing as such benifits massive sustained transfers -- keyword massive -- and you might as well have massive drives :)