Drive C space filling up automatically

mohtaj

Hello all,

The C drive on my computer is running out of space automatically. At first there was a large amount of free space and as time went by it filled up very quickly. Like this morning I had 57 Gb free space. Then I downloaded a large file (26 Gb) with IDM and moved the file to another drive and now it says that the free space is 40 Gb!!

I would really appreciate any help on this

Hello all,

The C drive on my computer is running out of space automatically. At first there was a large amount of free space and as time went by it filled up very quickly. Like this morning I had 57 Gb free space. Then I downloaded a large file (26 Gb) with IDM and moved the file to another drive and now it says that the free space is 40 Gb!!

I would really appreciate any help on this
I suggest that you create a folder like: Temp with a subfolder called: BrowserTemp on your "other" drive!
Here is how to do that: How to Move Windows’ Temporary Folders to Another Drive (howtogeek.com) Point both "temp" and "tmp" to the folders you created on the other drive! (This will save you space on your C drive)
Then you do the same for your browsers download and temp folder if possible! (This will save some more space on your C-drive)

When done! Reboot your PC, and run the built in tool: DISKCLEANER with the option to clean systemfiles.. This way you get to remove older Windows updates and upgrade files that are stored for the purpose of uninstalling the updates!

mohtaj

How big is your C drive? Have you downloaded and ran Ccleaner? Is system restore turned on and how much disk space is it set to use?
xdOYcLZ.png

I suggest that you create a folder like: Temp with a subfolder called: BrowserTemp on your "other" drive!
Here is how to do that: How to Move Windows’ Temporary Folders to Another Drive (howtogeek.com) Point both "temp" and "tmp" to the folders you created on the other drive! (This will save you space on your C drive)
Then you do the same for your browsers download and temp folder if possible! (This will save some more space on your C-drive)

When done! Reboot your PC, and run the built in tool: DISKCLEANER with the option to clean systemfiles.. This way you get to remove older Windows updates and upgrade files that are stored for the purpose of uninstalling the updates!
The Disk Cleanup shows a folder 32.6 Gb !! Windows.old. What am I supposed to do with it?

Thank y'alls for your replies.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I believe it is not. Where do I check it exactly? It brings up similar results when I search Settings

LOvgVcX.png
Look in System Properties>System Protection and you can adjust the slider there.

xdOYcLZ.png

The Disk Cleanup shows a folder 32.6 Gb !! Windows.old. What am I supposed to do with it?

You can select Previous Windows Installations and click OK to clean it up. With Windows 10 Windows saves the previous install of a feature upgrade (like 1909>2004) in case you need to revert for some reason. But that is only possible for 30 days.

mohtaj

Thank you.
Even though the Disk clean up shows 32.6 Gb for "Old Windows" when I did clean it up using DiskCleanUp, now my free space went up from 40.3 Gb to 61.5 Gb (21.2 Gb)

System Properties>System Protection
Can't find either of those when searching System Settings

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
system restore.jpg

Then click on the configure button to see the slider for drive space. However, I really feel you need to get a bigger C drive. I'm assuming you have an SSD? I suggest getting a 256gb.

mohtaj

Then click on the configure button to see the slider for drive space. However, I really feel you need to get a bigger C drive. I'm assuming you have an SSD? I suggest getting a 256gb.
Thanks for your reply. It's an ASUS Notebook. And btw, I opened up the slider page and saw that the system protection is disabled already and the slider is all the way to the left.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You did highlight C drive before clicking on Configure button correct? If the protection section shows off for all drives then system restore was disabled for all drives. So in that case, i'm still recommending to get a bigger boot drive such as 256 gb. You can clone existing to the new so you don't have to reinstall windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no software built into windows that will clone a drive. Separate software is needed. What brand of drive do you have now?

mohtaj

There is no software built into windows that will clone a drive. Separate software is needed. What brand of drive do you have now?
I bought this ASUS Notebook in the summer of 2019.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎1/‎20/‎2021
OS build 19042.746
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That don't tell me a thing. I asked what brand of hard drive it is has. But since this is a laptop, it might have a nvme or pci express SSD. If you aren't comfortable opening up a laptop, then you'll have to take it in and have them upgrade it for you.

xdOYcLZ.png

As you perhaps already has done, Select to remove all previous Windows installations and the: Delivery optimization files..