Drive not reading DVDs

WhoX

I've had this problem with 3 drives (LG & Samsung) on two different machines. About a year or two after purchase the drives stop reading DVDs. Reading CDs aren't a problem, just DVDs of any kind (except for blank discs). You can hear the drive attempting to read the media, sounds like a car revving it's engine, but after a couple of tries it goes silent.

This is what I've tried:

1. cleaning the media
  2. Inserting a DVD cleaning disc
  3. opening and closing the drive door
  4. updating the firmware
  5. changing cables
  6. pummeling it with a clinched fist
Nothing.

But here's the weird part. When I install the software AnyDVD the problem stops. Maybe the copyright protection on the DVDs is preventing the drive from engaging, but that wouldn't explain why the drives read DVDs for about a year or two and then stop...any suggestions?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are these burnt dvd's or regular movie dvd's? I can only assume that the eye that reads dvd's goes bad.

WhoX

Are these burnt dvd's or regular movie dvd's?

Original movie and software DVDs.

I can only assume that the eye that reads dvd's goes bad.

Yeah, I thought that too, but after installing AnyDVD the drive reads the discs with little or no problems.

In Germany you are allowed to make backup copies of original media that you own, as long as those copies stay in your possession. AnyDVD is the tool I use for this process.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So what about data dvd's? If it reads data dvd's all the time then its a codec or authoring (might be the wrong word i'm looking for) issue I would think.

WhoX

That's got to be the problem. I'll tinker some with codec software and see what happens. Thanks.