Driver Problem - Causes freeze

Lord Xmark

New Member
Hi,

Currently having problems with another computer in my house; after I built it, the disc it came with only had drivers for Vista (which I didn't realise at the time), but I installed them on an XP machine.

This only caused the occasional BSOD, which was frustrating, but I didn't realise the cause at the time. Unfortunately, now after a recent crash, the computer reaches the desktop, but promptly crashes after displaying the "Windows has recovered from a serious error screen".

Running the system in Safe Mode causes it to load correctly, but won't allow the installation of downloaded XP drivers.

What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Lord Xmark.
 
Your best bet would be to do a fresh install of XP and get the correct drivers on it. Start there and then if you have issues, we can try different things. Let us know.
 
Try RegCleaner or CCleaner. They will delete old registry entries. Also check if some programs don't "bite" each other (check if it is alright for them to be installed on one PC at the same time) If you think that is the case, then uninstall old programs that are unuseable. Although the best thing would be formatting your disk and installing everything back again
 
Hi,

the disc it came with only had drivers for Vista (which I didn't realise at the time), but I installed them on an XP machine.


Running the system in Safe Mode causes it to load correctly, but won't allow the installation of downloaded XP drivers.

What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Lord Xmark.

If it boots in safe mode, dont try installing XP drivers. Go to Add and Remove and try to uninstall the Vista drivers. If it lets you, then reboot and see if XP loads. If it does then install your XP drivers.
 
Back
Top