drivers for Ubuntu Linux?

onipar

I'm building my first computer this weekend, and I was preparing by downloading drivers for the motherboard, etc. I'm going to first try installing Windows 7, but it may not work because it's an OEM disk that says "update" on it (from the college where I work).

I'm preparing for the possibility it won't work by having Ubuntu Linux ready to install as well.

Anyway...I went to Gigabyte's website and it says "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website."

I'm not entirely sure where that would be. My motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: related question. If I do have to go with linux, should I use Mint or Ubuntu?

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You don't usually download drivers for Linux beforehand, in most cases the drivers are provided in the distro's repositories, and usually they work out of box. Some distros don't have proprietary drivers, but Ubuntu (and Mint) usually have no problems with them.

onipar

You don't usually download drivers for Linux beforehand, in most cases the drivers are provided in the distro's repositories, and usually they work out of box. Some distros don't have proprietary drivers, but Ubuntu (and Mint) usually have no problems with them.

Oh cool! SO is this an automatic thing once I install Ubuntu, or do I have to search the OS for where to update from?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Oh cool! SO is this an automatic thing once I install Ubuntu, or do I have to search the OS for where to update from?
All free drivers (free as in open source) are set up and updated automatically, yes. I think that there's a process you have to go through the enable proprietary drivers, but even that's really easy on Ubuntu - at least a couple of years ago it was only a matter of a few mouse clicks, I haven't used Ubuntu since but I imagine they wouldn't have made it any harder. I don't know the exact steps on current buntus, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out, and someone else here probably knows anyway.

NyxCharon

Any updates you'll need for it will most likely be downloaded for you. If not, a popup for proprietary software will come up that will then let you get it, or you'll just have to search the software center for it and install from there.

onipar

Sweet! You know, more and more I am *hoping* the Windows 7 disk doesn't work. I really think Ubuntu would be a good change. Thanks for the help.

Double-Aces

banned
I'm building my first computer this weekend, and I was preparing by downloading drivers for the motherboard, etc. I'm going to first try installing Windows 7, but it may not work because it's an OEM disk that says "update" on it (from the college where I work).

I'm preparing for the possibility it won't work by having Ubuntu Linux ready to install as well.

Anyway...I went to Gigabyte's website and it says "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website."

I'm not entirely sure where that would be. My motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: related question. If I do have to go with linux, should I use Mint or Ubuntu?

You can download windows-8 preview here----> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 it will run your computer well, and it's free.

Double-Aces

banned
Sweet! You know, more and more I am *hoping* the Windows 7 disk doesn't work. I really think Ubuntu would be a good change. Thanks for the help.

The windows upgrade should install just fine, as XP can not be upgraded and must be done as a full install, even from the upgrade version. The trick is not to connect to the internet, after the install you will have 3 days to activate the account, which will not work, if the disk was run on another machine. However during this time, you will have time to test your machine. If the win-disk was already run, it will read the serial numbers on the mobo and shut itself down after hooking up to the MS database. Even if the disk does not work, save it, as it does great and quick formats, and can be used to start a sticking machine.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you have a upgrade. Boot to the DVD and do a clean install, but dont put a key in. It will make it a trial version. After the install with windows running, pop the 7 disk back in, when your auto play pops up pick run setup.exe. This time around pick upgrade. Put your key in this time. After its finished do a Disk Cleanup and put a check on Previous Windows Installation.

onipar

The update disk I bought is brand new, never used, with a good key. I just wasn't sure if it'd do a fresh install. But I'll try those tricks you all mentioned.

StrangleHold, do you recommend those steps because it ensures that the disk will work?

If I go Linux, is Mint better than Ubuntu?

NyxCharon

Mint all the way. Ubuntu is on a very different path at the moment, that's all I have to say. After you get your feet wet in linux, you can move to a more advanced distro or go more advanced. Your choice.

onipar

Mint all the way. Ubuntu is on a very different path at the moment, that's all I have to say. After you get your feet wet in linux, you can move to a more advanced distro or go more advanced. Your choice.

Okay, I'll go with Mint then. I had Ubuntu all set to go, but if Mint is better I'll do that. This is for my parents, so the easiest one to use is the best.

Double-Aces

banned
If you have a upgrade. Boot to the DVD and do a clean install, but dont put a key in. It will make it a trial version. After the install with windows running, pop the 7 disk back in, when your auto play pops up pick run setup.exe. This time around pick upgrade. Put your key in this time. After its finished do a Disk Cleanup and put a check on Previous Windows Installation.

And within the confines of your little mind, you are really ignorant enough to believe that Microsoft could not figure out that an ignorant person like you would try that...............

The software will work on a local level, has a three day timer that will expire in three days, or as soon as you try to enter the activation code and motherboard serial numbers that are already stored at in MS servers.

How do I know this? I am running 4 active versions of win-7 and have formatted and reinstalled all of them multiple times..............

StrangleHold

Staff member
And within the confines of your little mind, you are really ignorant enough to believe that Microsoft could not figure out that an ignorant person like you would try that...............

The software will work on a local level, has a three day timer that will expire in three days, or as soon as you try to enter the activation code and motherboard serial numbers that are already stored at in MS servers.

How do I know this? I am running 4 active versions of win-7 and have formatted and reinstalled all of them multiple times..............

Not even going to reply to your post from now on. Your a small child inside that needs a spanking and sent your room.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

You're an idiot in a forum full of computer geniuses.

Not even going to reply to your post from now on. Your a small child inside that needs a spanking and sent your room.

^This I agree with.

Double-Aces

banned
The update disk I bought is brand new, never used, with a good key. I just wasn't sure if it'd do a fresh install. But I'll try those tricks you all mentioned.

StrangleHold, do you recommend those steps because it ensures that the disk will work?

If I go Linux, is Mint better than Ubuntu?

Not sure if you can activate an upgrade disk on a new computer. It will install just fine, but like I said previously MS maintains motherboard serial numbers, thus they will know that your motherboard is new or in a different computer and that you should have bought the full version. If you ran XP, and did a full reformat, MS still has the mobo serial number, or it will ask for the XP version number, in addition to the win 7 number.

You are out of luck, and might as well install a krappy free OS and spend the rest of your natural life looking for drivers.............

If the linux crowd tells you different, they are wrong. Some of them actually want you to fail, so they can get you to hate MS and switch over to a krappy free OS.

Again, if you have a new motherboard, even if in an old computer, you will need a full retail copy of win-7.

Double-Aces

banned
Not sure if you can activate an upgrade disk on a new computer. It will install just fine, but like I said previously MS maintains motherboard serial numbers, thus they will know that your motherboard is new or in a different computer and that you should have bought the full version. If you ran XP, and did a full reformat, MS still has the mobo serial number, or it will ask for the XP version number, in addition to the win 7 number.

You are out of luck, and might as well install a krappy free OS and spend the rest of your natural life looking for drivers.............

If the linux crowd tells you different, they are wrong. Some of them actually want you to fail, so they can get you to hate MS and switch over to a krappy free OS.

Again, if you have a new motherboard, even if in an old computer, you will need a full retail copy of win-7.

You are going to have to go with linux, because you do not have the full and licensed version of win-7 that you need. Mint is just a spinoff of Ubuntu, so if you are new to linux, Ubuntu is the most user friendly. Though it's interface is as dopey as dopey can be.