Droid and Mp3 or use both?

I have a Motorola Droid (original). One of the reasons I got it was to not have to carry around an Mp3 player, but this thing has been a serious music playing letdown.

Sync'ing with Windows Media player was clumsy, and didn't want to display album art.
Rhapsody does not recognize it as a player for to-go subscriptions. Which means I can't just drag and drop tracks on it like I could my Sony Walkman. Now, Rhapsody has made it so I can download tracks via playlists, but once again, clunky... Not very user friendly.

My Droid is also getting pretty slow. I don't have a TON of apps on it, but I have a few. I've gotten the "low memory" warning a few times. This is from the on-board available, as the SD card is still sitting around with >90% capacity available.

I've been satisfied with my phone for all it can do, but I'd prefer it to be a better, faster, more user-friendly unit. And before you tell me to root it and overclock the processor, know this, it already gets hot. I'm not rooting this thing.

My upgrade is available in a few months, what kind of phone should I get? (Verizon) Also, should I abandon the idea of having a phone that seamlessly runs music and just go back to carrying an Mp3 player?