Dropbox Pricing?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Is it just me or does Dropbox pricing seem extreme for 2018 (almost 2019)? $9.99/mo for plus (1tb and limited features) and $19.99/mo for Professional (2TB and full features). When comparing to Office 365 or Google One this pricing model seems insane or, am I missing the bigger picture here on why Dropbox charges a premium to its competitors?

Darren

Staff member
Google looks like 9.99 for 2TB. Not terribly worse.

https://one.google.com/storage

OneDrive is 1TB for $70/year or about 6 per month. I'd guess it's name recognition as much as anything and since it was one of the first successful cloud hosting I imagine a lot of people are tied into it and willing to pay more rather than migrate. I bet a ton of people don't even know Google has that functionality but a lot of people have heard of DropBox, at least amongst the general public.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I guess what shocked me was that they really have not evolved there product over the years. I remember using Dropbox back in the day as they were one of the first to provide cloud support to Linux. I think this would have been 2009 or 2010 and I believe I was paying $9.99/mo for 1TB back then.

Either way there competitors are either offering twice the storage or "family plans" (Office365). Hell even both Google and MS offer scale-able storage of something like 100GB increments for $1.99 a month for those who don't need a TB of storage.

I guess I was just shocked as for being one of the first companies to successfully pull off the cloud idea and to still be such a house hold name I am surprised they are not being more competitive.