DSL issue

rizay

I just got a new wireless modem from verizon. Its a model 7500. I am running windows 7. I connect my desktop using an either-net wire. I got it working but sometimes its stops working when I am not using my pc. I checked everything I could think of and even reinstalled windows. Any thoughts?

Geoff

VIP Member
Could you give us a little more information? When it stops working when you aren't using the PC, I assume you mean you are using a wireless device? Does it stop working whenever the PC is off, or just sometimes? Has it happened when the PC is on?

rizay

Well, I don't turn the pc off. It does go to sleep. I rarely use any wireless device, but every time I tried wireless, it has worked flawlessly.

It doesn't happen all the time. Some times it will works all day without incident, sometimes it stops several times. All the lights on the modem work. The only way I found to get it to work is to turn the power off on the modem for 10 seconds or so. Turn it back on and wait for the lights to stop switching.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does it go to sleep or does the monitor just turn off? Rule of thumb anymore is to not let pc's go to standy/sleep mode. There a lot of issues after resuming including dropped internet. When the internet has dropped call verizon and have them do a line/modem test, they may have to replace the modem.

rizay

The monitor turns off after 10 minutes and the pc goes to sleep after 30. I'll try to call verizon when it does it again. Thanks for the tips.