dsl modem centurylink

Twist86

So I'm buying a new place here shortly that has dsl as my only option out in the country with centurylink. I found out they have a C1100Z router/modem but apparently centurylink wont sell me that model when I take over the current owner's slot, but a cheaper version that doesn't have what I desire. Looking through DSL modems and routers the pickings look kinda bleak. I'm assuming ADSL2+ is backwards compatible and each version is simply more bandwidth capable, I wont need more than 25MBps I imagine (called centurylink but they could give me ZERO information, said the tech is the only one who would know after he installed....these people are morons)

Sadly I don't have internet atm so looking for these is a tad difficult, I'm piggy backing off some wifi at a local apartment complex (not encrypted) just to post this thread lol.

I'm after a wireless capable router for my phones with 4x LAN gigabit switches (very important for my media server) and DRT or Tomato (not an issue, I just like options and controlling power usage for longevity).

I just want a workhorse that doesn't break the bank. Thank you.

*edit*
Also I'm curious would my cable router work with a dsl line? If so I just need a new modem then, right? If the answer is yes are there any solid performers out there?

Geoff

VIP Member
Personally, I would get a modem only and then purchase your own wireless router. You have a much greater variety to choose from, and you can easily upgrade it without having to replace your modem as well.

No, a cable modem will not work with a DSL line. I would ask your ISP for recommended models, then buy it outright yourself instead of renting.