DSL vs. CABLE

Phate321

right now i am currently running charter cable internet. my package is 384k and i download on average around 50k. i am switching to verizon dsl and my package through them is a 3.0m/768k line. i live in WA (in the city, not county) and the zip code is 98801. now, is that going to be a decent switch because i want faster internet but was a little worried about switching from cable to dsl because ive had qwest dsl before and it sucked. but i heard qwest was not very good anyway. i just hope verizons package is good. any thoughts would be apreciated.

Geoff

VIP Member
that sounds like a very good package, you average download speed would be about 380KBps, and i have DSL and it has only gone down once for about 10 min in the past 8 months that i've had it. I've always thought of DSL being more reliable then cable anyways, so yes, that is a very good switch. by the way, whats the price difference?

computerhakk

VIP Member
i believe cable is faster than dsl(dont hold me to it) but the thing is that cable is shared through a neighborhood or community or city i believe.. lol.. something like that.. so when theres big usage in your area.. u get a slower connection.. but dsl is through ur lines and ur the one using it only.. so thats why it can seem faster at times..

Geoff

VIP Member
computerhakk said:
i believe cable is faster than dsl(dont hold me to it) but the thing is that cable is shared through a neighborhood or community or city i believe.. lol.. something like that.. so when theres big usage in your area.. u get a slower connection.. but dsl is through ur lines and ur the one using it only.. so thats why it can seem faster at times..

depends where you live, but cable connections can fluctuate alot compared to dsl.

X24

yes, but i believel most dsl companies put a cap on how much u can download a month while cable is unlimited....atleast that is what it is around here......i still have dialup but we are getting dsl

skidude

Not even Adelphia??? Thats the only high speed that is avaliable in my town.... rip offs too, $42.95 a month...

Geoff

VIP Member
skidude said:
Not even Adelphia??? Thats the only high speed that is avaliable in my town.... rip offs too, $42.95 a month...

my dsl is $42 a month, it used to only be 256K!!, but then they upgraded to 2.5mbps for free, so im happy. And no cable tv either, so we have satellite, which rocks the socks off cable tv by the way :)

the towns next to me have comcast and adelphia.

converting_boxes

My uncle is trying to install satalite internet and he said it was a pain in the a$$, hes a programer too, for the gov. But it doesnt have anything to do with dsl. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
converting_boxes said:
My uncle is trying to install satalite internet and he said it was a pain in the a$$, hes a programer too, for the gov. But it doesnt have anything to do with dsl. :)

we could have gotten satellite internet, but its slow compared to dsl and cable, and costs much more.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I've had better luck with DSL in my area, even wireless has a better connection. My GF's cable is always going out/slowing down, and the setup was far more complicated than my DSL. Of course if you pay for instillation it doesn't matter, but line quality is an issue here with cable.

Xycron

banned
SAtiliate, has good download speed's but doesn;t it's upload go as slow as a 56k?

and with my cable, its been good, installatoin was as easy as plugging in the wires.

run4it

Cable is faster. the further away u r from the isp server the slower the connection with dsl also. this isn't true for cable though. i get 5mbps cable connection for $45. i've never seen any dsl connection that fast.

Geoff

VIP Member
run4it said:
Cable is faster. the further away u r from the isp server the slower the connection with dsl also. this isn't true for cable though. i get 5mbps cable connection for $45. i've never seen any dsl connection that fast.

are you sure about that? unlike dsl, cable has boxes (not sure what thay are called exactly) that boost the speed or something like that, so its more around the advertised speed. But your right, dsl does get slightly slower as you move farther away from the telephone company, which also happens with dial-up. And there are dsl connections out there that are faster then 5mbps cable.

run4it

If you're talking about a cable modem... ya i have that. I also have a friend with dsl and he has to have a dsl modem. and i said i personally have not seen that fast of a dsl connection, they aren't too common, never said they don't exist.

skidude

I firmly believe cable is much faster, I always have better pings in CSS than my friend who has DSL.